“Charon will tell you where to look.”

“He will not be coming with me?” She asked, horrified.

My eyes narrowed on my brother. He grinned. “Of course not. You need some persuasion. And the amount that you care for him … clearly. Oh yes brother, a warning.”

I frowned, confused. What was he -

Morningstar waved a hand. From the air a heavy set of manacles appeared - heavier than the ones I had worn before. A sharp intake of breath came from me and I scuttled backwards, loosening my arms. They followed me however, darting straight for my wrists. Grabbing the side of the desk I attempted to flip over, gaining away from them, before Morningstar clicked his fingers.

The manacles vanished from the air - then directly appeared on my wrists. Barely had I time to hear the click of metal as they settled. My hands were cursed, the manacles moving them like I had no will upon my own hand, and clashed together sharply. My heart began to race, and I hissed darkly, as chains sprouted from the ends of the manacles and fled forwards, towards Morningstar.

Easily, he plucked them from the air. I felt a guilt descended on my shoulders as I was dragged forwards to his side. I stumbled off the desk, irritated at myself for even daring to fight in that moment. I attempted to rip my hands free, but there was a clear sign he had used stronger chains this time. As he had promised.

“Fuck you, Morn,” I cursed, as I struggled against them, leaning as far as I could away from him.

He barely showed any emotion as he curled the chain tighter around his hand. Ayna by now was backed up against the wall, her eyes blazing with wide fear.

“This will be your persuasion,” he said in a bored voice. “You were concerned about him being in a cell … well, there he will rot until you bring me what I want. You do not tell anyone about this, you do not even show any pause for concern. Understand?”

Ayna trembled. Her lips parted and she let out a small whimper as she switched her gaze to me.

I hissed, not liking this one bit. Taking me prisoner was fine - I had dealt with the situation all my millennia, but not as a hostage. Not to manipulate my students. At that thought I stilled.

“My work,” I realised, “if I take anymore undeclared leave-”

“Well write a letter that you need time off, then,” Morningstar rolled his eyes, gesturing to my desk.

I stared at him, my struggling now ceased and more confused at his moment of strange kindness.

“The girl here can hand it in. And while you are at it, scribe where she can find your … project for me.”

Looking over to Ayna, I could see the utter fear in her eyes. My chest rose and fell unsteadily as I tried to take a step towards her.

“No,” Morningstar grabbed me by the upper arm and shoved me hard against the desk. “Write, not flirt.”

It hit my abdomen. Cringing, I felt pain explode, and bit back a yell. Morningstar reached past me and shoved a pen into my hand, then twisted a blank sheet around to face me.

“You do not know how long you need away,” Morningstar instructed. Very quickly I invented a death in the family. Something I was currently wishing for. If only …

“Char, just write,” he sighed. Grabbing my bound hands he twisted them to set the nib to paper. I glared at him, and he raised an eyebrow.

“You're a dick,” I muttered to him.

“Yes I am,” he replied. “Now. Write.”