I can’t believe my father’s putting me through this!

The horse charged through the forest. The coniferous trees limited her view of anything and everything, the dark green pine needles flooding the forest in fresh, earthy pine scent. She knew, however, as her brown eyes narrowed, that she was being followed.

It would be just horrible if the heir to the Thion family throne was shredded by a monster, huh?

She growled, forcing her steed to race faster. Even so, the thundering of mindless monsters' feet and hooves clamored behind her. She gasped, internally panicking. Why, father, why?!

Then, the last bit of forest flew past. The steed broke free from the shadow of the pine trees, bursting into a grassy field of sunlight. The horse’s hooves pounded against the cool ground. Up ahead, the protective wall separating monsters from men was in view. The Thion eyed the Trap ahead. It was a circular wall hub without a ceiling. The opened cage doors of the Trap begged for her to enter, welcoming her to the safety of the walls.

Then my job will be done. Hooray.

She dared to look back. Turning her head, she squinted through her whirling dirty blond hair. Trailing behind her, numerous, were the vile Well Monsters. They were unnatural, not abiding to any single animal form. Hooves, beaks, fur, tails, scales, feathers… the ink black creatures had it all meshed in the most abominable, hideous manner.

In their mindless states, they targeted the nearest living thing – Eshwyn Thion.

Almost there!

She clung onto the reigns of her steed, which also seemed to understand the danger chasing them. The stallion snorted with long, hot breaths of heavy air as it roared on. Nearing the gate, Eshwyn eyed the archers lined across the inner round battlements and flat wall tops. The shadow of the archway loomed as they finally darted through. Above them, the machicolations and hoardings lined alongside the two way battlements. Eshwyn looked back again. One monster was right behind her. The young woman gasped, forwarding the horse into another gate across the yard. Upon entering, she heard shouts from above, “Close the gates!”

Thus, metal bar gates were cast down. Eshwyn looked back, several monsters were reaching through the gate for her, while others attempted in vain to climb the smoothed out walls. With all the monsters within the Trap, the other gate was slammed shut. Within the cool, dark inner wall, Eshwyn dismounted. Immediately grabbing a bow and quiver of arrows from a weapons rack, she bolted up a small, stone stairway. Soon enough, she was alongside the other archers whom loomed above the trapped creatures of darkness. As the mindless beasts clamored and tried to do something to escape and destroy, Eshwyn heard a familiar voice boom from the wall top.

“Fire at will!”

Instantly, every soul there pulled back their bows and volleyed down fire upon the monsters. They fell like flies under the raining arrows. Eshwyn was sharp eyed and skilled, firing up to two arrows per second. It was in a matter of moments that every monster was dead, spiraled across the trampled ground.

As per usual, the Trap was a success.

The voice once again sounded from above, “Excellent work, soldiers. Fall back behind the walls.”

Eshwyn only had two arrows left in her quiver. She sighed, putting the bow behind her back and following the others back down the stairs. The chestnut horse she rode had already been taken back to the stables. She was sure the frightened animal would be treated to a reward of carrots and a nice washing. She handed her tools back to the stock manager in the corner. Then, she strode through the swinging gates, back to the safety of Autchergarth’s territories.

Most of the soldiers who participated in the operation were relaxing, having fun. In the mead hall, they feasted and drank away to their hearts content. The poor bartender was practically hiding behind the counter, holding up a hose of beer like it was a defensive crossbow. The red wood house was warm. The fireplaces and hearths were strongly lit; the benches and seats cozy. Alongside the long, skinny tables men and women enjoyed hot soups and fresh breads, The various smells of bean and ham soup, filled with creamy broth and cut vegetable medleys, made her mouth water. The sweet smelling, leavened breads scent up such an incredible scent. As she made way towards the exhausted looking server to ask for her share, however, that familiar voice called from a nearby table.

“Duchess Thion, my daughter!”

She turned to see her father motioning her to sit alongside him.

She forced on a smile, walking over to join him and the company surrounding him.

“Father.” She gave him the proper bow.

The middle aged man smiled, motioning her to sit alongside him. “Come. You have deserved rest and a hot meal.”

She noticed that he had already ordered her portions. She sat down, giving him an appreciative, earnest smile. Well, he knows I almost got maimed out there! He is a good man though…

He placed a hand on her shoulder as she ripped apart a piece of bread, forgetting to mind her manners. “Of course my daughter could do it. She is the future heir after all.”

She almost choked on the bread, but forced herself to swallow. Catching onto the uncomfortable hint to sit up straight, she took smaller bites of her bread as she watched him warily.

Please don’t remind me… This massive weight on my shoulders!

For all her anxious thoughts, she smirked instead. “I have only done my service, gentlemen.”