Leopold righted himself and immediately regretted not taking the stairs. His feelings of regret were compounded when Arden appeared silently at his side, seemingly unphased by the dizzy heights they had just tackled.

“I wish you wouldn’t do that.”

“Do what?” The swordsman winked and made for the crossing to the east. “Not my fault you’re old.”

“Hey, I might be a quadra-millennial but I’ve the body of a…” Leopold trailed off, the throbbing in his knees intensifying to prove a point.

“Come on, we’ve got a lot of ground to cover.”

Leopold followed diligently, and they covered more ground in an hour than Leopold wanted to on an empty stomach and a sober mind. They strolled onto the dockland in a mix of confusion and heat stroke. Noticeably, Leopold was confused how Arden remained untarnished by sweat or sign of life.

“I’ll let you take the lead. This is more your port of call.”

“Good. Any more sea puns from you and nobody will sell us a house.” Leopold adjusted his head, determined to look good even if his clothes were adding to the sweltering humidity of the busy lowlands of Radasanth. Down here there was no breeze.

“I make no promises. I’m awash with humour.”

“Ha-ha.” Leopold pointed to a tavern on the eastern front, which he knew was a hot bed of gossip and the best place in the city to buy things owners didn’t necessarily know were being sold.

“Have you ever been in there without losing an eye?” Arden frowned.

“Hey, it’s not just you amongst us who knows their way around a seedy backwater. I’ve made some of my best business decis-”

“Pissed out of your skull?”

Leopold sighed. “Okay. You know me too well. Just, come on.”

They marched towards The Dumb Bell in tandem, top hat and tails in stark contrast to the red scarf and loose slacks, and not much else Arden wore. Before they’d crossed the threshold half the tavern were gossiping about who they were, and why they were together. It was probably best neither of them got to hear the insults thrown their way.

“Barman’s called Jack. Loves a pun, not so much love for people who leave blood stains.”

“He’ll love us, then.” Arden smirked. “After you?”
“Fine, fine, I watch a master at work.”

Leopold sauntered to the bar and sat on a stool, trying to not seem like he’d just jumped four floors off a roof without proper footwear. The barman, who to Leopold was a friend, took awhile to notice a new arrival. Unlike his patrons, Jack paid attention only to two things: money and mischief. Arden sat next to Leopold without so much as a word.

“Evenin. ‘Eard you might be the man to talk to.” Jack heard words but only walked along the bar to stand opposite Leopold when he produced a gold coin. “Need two bourbons and a house.”

“A house? Jeesh, you’re in the right place but for the wrong reasons.” Jack took the coin and tended to the order. “You can’t buy that sort of thing with any old tat.” He pocketed the coin and patted his pocket. “Gold talks. Favours shout.”

Leopold rolled his eyes.

“So if you have a lead, what can we do in return?”

Arden and Leopold watched Jack decant two bourbons of uncertain quality and set them opposite his new gentleman. He sized them up carefully.

“Tell me who the fuck you are for starters.” The matter of fact tone put a smile on Leopold’s face.

“Oh, good, you do understand me.” Leopold picked up the glass and drained it. “A funny story is funnier with a stiff drink. I’m Leopold, and this ‘ere’s my right arm Arden.”

“I-”

“We’re new to Radasanth and looking to settle.” Leopold expertly cut Arden’s protestation off and grinned from ear to ear. “No questions asked.”