“Amari, come back!” Jake raced after the Salvic lass, his boots thudding on the oaken floorboards. He followed her outside and found her on all fours in the lush green grass of the Bandit Brotherhood’s courtyard. Jake had passed many a fine hour training in the sun there, sweating amongst the other hoods. It was a place of joy and freedom to him, so it seemed so strange to see his friend weeping openly there.

“Amari…” Jake knelt nearby, not making any effort to approach her. “You’re safe here, I promise. If you want to leave the fort you can… just let me come with you. You’d get lost. We’re in the middle of the forest Concordia.” He gestured at the thick leafy treetops visible beyond the high walls.

She barely lifted her head, she pressed herself further into the ground. Jake looked on helplessly as he noticed the grass around her seem to grow and shift toward her shivering form. The leafy blades lightly dancing against her skin. Her only other response was a whimper.

“What can I do, Amari?” The half elf asked. “How can I prove to you that all I say is true?”

“I- I don’t know...I’m scared.” She said, voice barely above a whisper. “I want to trust you.” The grass began to wrap around her legs, Amari either didn’t notice, or wasn’t bothered by it.

“Would you feel better outside the walls?” Jake asked. He’d have preferred to keep her within the hideout’s safety, but he was desperate to calm the girl down. “I could take you for a walk to the nearest village. It’s a pleasant place.” She nodded, and pulled the jacket further over her ill-dressed form. Jake grinned. “I’ll steal a few coins and buy you some new clothing. How does that sound?” She gave another small nod and lifted herself up and away from the ground, the grass that had surrounded her body relaxed and pulled free from her.

Jake led her to the hideout’s main gate, exchanging a few words with the guards there.

They opened the guardhouse and let the drawbridge down. The long trakym gate lowered until it spanned the moat which surrounded the fort. Jake gently took Amari’s hand and led her to the other side, and then whistled. With a groan of ropes and pulleys, the drawbridge reascended, and they were alone in the woods.

“This way,” Jake said, following a familiar game trail. He noted the faraway look in the Salvic girl’s eyes and made an effort to engage her. “I’m sure you could find work at an inn or a tavern, if you’d like,” he said, “that’s after we’ve got some coin and some food, and you’re properly dressed. You’re an excellent cook.” He patted his belly, recalling the delightful meal she’d shared. “Who taught you your way round a kitchen?” Jake moved ahead of Amari, parting branches for her and pointing out roots that intruded on the trail.

“Myself…” She said, her cheeks flushed as she shifted her gaze away from him. “I-I taught myself.”

“The village we’re headed for is called Aradine,” Jake explained as they wound their way around trees and shrubberies. “I’ve stolen some fantastic horses there, including my own steed, Gunner, back when he was a yearling.” Jake pointed as plumes of smoke from the town came into sight in the distance. “Look! We’re almost there!”