“Glad you’re feeling better,” Jake grinned, “I find Aradine is always good for a pick-me-up.” The half elf had eaten like a wolf, in stark contrast to Amari, leaving crumbs down his front and cream on his upper lip. The buxom serving girl came by to clear their dishes, and made a point of wiping the cream from Jake’s lip with her thumb, scooping it into her own mouth and smiling as she carried the plates and cutlery away.

Jake turned red and glance toward Amari, who simply sat, completely oblivious to the undertones and implications of the womans actions, he caught Amari’s gaze and turned his eyes down to his lap.

“She’s lovely.” Amari commented, “But I don’t think she likes me very much.” Her voice held a tone of concern. “Did I do something to offend her? I am not aware of any customs in Corone.”

“What, Karen? No, you’re fine,” Jake said, mixing up his sentences, “I mean, she’s just shy towards new people. And really, really friendly once she gets to know you.” He tugged at the black silk scarf he wore around his neck.

“Oh.” Amari seemed relieved. “I am glad I did not offend her.” She offered him a supportive smile. Taking his lie, hook line and sinker. “Are you sure you are ok? Did you need to rest before we head to Akashima?”

“Actually, a quick nap would do me a world of good.” Jake cast a concerned look at the redhead. “If you’re not in too much of a hurry?”

Amari glanced away, her smile faltering. She slowly shook her head as her gaze shifted from him, her tone was subdued. “If my male companion wishes to rest, I must oblige, and ensure he rests.” Amari stood, and stepped out from the table, pushing her chair in with narry a scrape against the wooden floorboard. “Shall we?” She asked.

“What kind of talk is that?” Jake asked. He scrubbed his dirty hands through tired eyes and raked his dirty blond locks. “Is that Salvic custom, or something your brother taught you?”

“Both brother and father ensued I knew all their needs were to be met, and taken care of before my own.” Amari frowned, her hands gripping the back of the chair. “Brother was very insistent on it. Does it bother you? Did you need me to fetch you anything before we leave?”

“Look, that’s not,” Jake frowned and stood up. People were beginning to watch them again. “Let’s just go, shall we?” He ushered her toward the door and held it for her. When they stepped outside they stepped into Akashima, their boots and shoes landing on the lush green grass that surrounded the Great Crystal Spire. Jake had spent many hours at the famous monument in the middle of the Capital City, memorizing the place well enough to portal there at any time.

“That might be how your brother and father treated you,” Jake said, finishing his thought from earlier, “but that’s not how your friends will treat you. Welcome to Akashima.”