Jake had known that one of the men in the crowd would approach Amari - she was like a lodestone surrounded by iron filings. Of course, that man wasn’t Jake’s target. He would be too obvious. Instead, the half elf angled his way towards a middle-aged gentleman with grey in his hair, who was watching the unlikely pair walk toward the clothing shop. No doubt, he was fantasizing what it would have been like to be in the tall, dark haired man’s shoes, to be the one swooping in to save the damsel in distress.

Jake snuck up behind the salt-and-pepper fellow, cast a furtive glance around, and cut the leather strings tying the man’s purse to his belt. The coin pouch fell into Jake’s waiting pocket, and the half elf scurried away, looping in the opposite direction around the block. Not until he was halfway ‘round the block did the cries of thief! begin to echo. Jake circled around and came at the clothing shop from the opposite direction.

Dang it, Amari, you weren’t supposed to ACCEPT his company. He watched the redhead enter the shop alongside her new friend. Jake hastened in after them, a bell chiming above his head.

“Amari!” He exclaimed as if just finding her. “There you are! Let’s get you some clothes.” He nodded to the tall fellow with the ponytail. “Thanks for your assistance sir, I’m sure my friend looked a little lost.”

“I think that an understatement.” The man said evenly as he glanced at the girl, genuine concern etched on his features. “Miss Amari, this boy is your friend?” Amari nodded and the man loosened his tense stance. He turned his steel blue eyes back toward Jake. “My name is Noel.” He held his hand out to Jake.

“Jake Narmolanya,” the half elf replied. Noel had a firm grip that went with his gaze and personality. He probably fancies himself quite the white knight, Jake thought as he released the man’s hand. “Amari, pick out whatever suits you, and then we’ll get something to eat.”

Noel gave a small nod. “Miss Amari, remember what I said. I’ll be in town for another 3 days.” He gave both her and Jake a wave before turning to leave the store. Amari waved goodbye to him before turning back to Jake.

“I...uh. I pick?” She asked, a little startled at the realisation she had a choice. “Brother always had my clothes picked out for me.”

“Well I don’t know much about womens’ clothing,” Jake said, his ears heating up somewhat, “why don’t we start with a pair of shoes? Or some good boots.”

Amari pursed her lips and went about the store, picking out clothing for herself. She settled on black boots, a red dress that was a few shades lighter than her hair, with long sleeves and a emerald green cloak. The cashier, an older woman had gone into the back room with Amari, where they fitted her for undergarments a second pair were placed discreetly in a brown paper bag atop the pile of clothing sitting on the front counter.

“Are you sure this is ok?” Amari asked.

“Of course, you look great. Very Coronian.” Jake paid the woman behind the counter. The total lightened the purse in his pocket considerably, but he still had more than enough to get them a good meal. “Are you hungry?” He asked as they left the shop.

“No.” She said.

The sounds of her stomach said otherwise.

“Come on,” Jake laughed, taking her hand and leading her toward a particular in. “This place has wonderful hotcakes.”