Black Shadow shot his hand forward, connecting a clenched fist with Gavner's nose. Quickly spinning and standing up, Black Shadow grabbed his bow and aimed it at Gavner. When he realized it was his ally, he put the bow down. Gavner hissed at him and turned his back away laying down again.

After some coaxing out, Gavner told Black Shadow all about his great escape, how he created the diversion to stop the enemy from noticing the archer’s escape, and then how he blasted a hole through the wall in Al Konvar.

“I must have hit an ancient air channel that had been closed off!” The vampire exclaimed. “The luck of the vampires must have been with me, otherwise I would have had to power my way through the golden doors and on to the hot springs, and who knows if I would have made it.

“And then,” Gavner continued, the air shaft lead into some sort of escape tunnel, but go figure that the tunnel had caved in toward the end of the mountain! So I took the hammer and smashed a hole through the floor. Imagine my surprise when fell thirty feet to land shoulder deep in the royal hot springs! But of course, I had an entire dwarf army coming after me, and they happened to be checking if I was in the cavern. So I caved in the cavern and escaped through the overflow! But of course, I ended up falling out of the side of the mountain and into a lake full of ice.”

Gavner’s attention was suddenly drawn to the soup that he had cooking over the fire in some strange stone pot, and noticed that it was done. “Here,” he said, pouring some into a carved stone bowl and handed it to Black Shadow. He poured himself some and began to eat it. Black Shadow tried some and realized how hungry he was. The soup was actually really good, and he was surprised. Apparently Gavner was a good cook. Black Shadow had a second bowl and was working on his third by the time Gavner finished his first. Shadow brought the bowl close to his face, and felt the heat radiating from the nourishing liquid.

“Hmm,” Gavner said, “I think it is a little too salty. I must have added too much of my urine.”

Black Shadow froze. He turned and gave Gavner a disapproving look under his mask. Gavner must have been able to sense it, because he said “What? It is just used for fla-“

Black Shadow threw the bowl into Gavner’s face. The vampire fell to the ground, grasping the side of his face which was now covered with blisters and second degree burns. Standing up, the vampire hissed at Black Shadow. He pointed at him and opened his mouth as if he was going to reprimand his traveling partner, but he hesitated. “Yeah, I guess I deserved that,” Gavner said.
"I'm going to sleep. We can continue tonight." He said, laying down, falling asleep within a few minutes.

He waited for the day, taking a nap or two so that he could be rested during his and Gavner's journey. As the sun fell an the moon began to rise, Gavner awakened, and the two set off on foot again.