In a different, burned out ruin of a temple.

I had just dispatched the last wolf, its blood still glistening on my bastard sword. I grinned, and rested my sword on my shoulder as I started looking through the place for anything useful. Gold, a weapon would be nice, or anything that could be thought of as powerful. But I wasn't the first one to loot the temple. I found an old kris anathema used for mundane rituals that the gods ignored, broken bits of candelabra's on the altar, and the poor box didn't even have a single brass farthing. I know I smashed it open. My next trip was the temples larder...

Fun fact temples doubled as butcheries, animal sacrifices wasted tons of meat, and the rot would have brought in tons of disease, and selling the choice cuts of meat brought in a good supply of funds for the temple itself.

I was just about to kick open the cellars door, when I heard "Vandal! Murderer!" I then heard a war cry as someone charged towards me! Crap, I was getting hungry, and was hoping the cupboard had some stores left in it, now I would have to wait a little longer.

My mind found my attackers throat, and gripped it, lifting him up by the neck. I heard my attackers weapon clatter to the ground, and I turned around, and faced my attacker he was a boy, not quite yet weened from his mentor, probably just barely sixteen. He was armored with chain mail, and a tabard with some holy symbol on it.

He was choking, and gagging but he wouldn't suffocate. Not for quite some time he'd just be uncomfortable. I strode towards him, and nearly shouted.

"Now listen here numb nuts! The only thing I kilt... this evening was those wolves. Also look around! This place had been ransacked long before I got here!" I spun my attacker around in a bit of sadistic fun, and heard another voice from the door...

"If you would mind" A high gothic accent asked "not choking my squire to death for his own stupidity. Maybe we could talk about why this temple is abandoned?" Out stepped an older gentleman wearing a well used chest plate, and a more tattered tabard with the same holy symbol. In one hand he was a sword, and in the other one a ball of light gleamed from his hand. I weighed my options, looked at the squire, and said "he'll be fine." Leaving the boy hanging in the air.

The light never left the knights hand, but he approached slowly, and introduced himself "I am Sir Cygnus, and my Squire if he could speak would introduce himself as M'llard."

"Nice to meet you." I replied feeling M'llard's sword with my mind ready to send it hurtling through Cygnus' body.

I moved the conversation along "A year ago this temple was bustling, and had value to me. Now it's a shit hole. What happened?"

Cygnus replied "That's what we're here to find out. Some dark entity..." He clarified "not you."

I rolled my eyes "obviously."

Cygnus continued "has brought about a curst upon this land, and our patron city has asked us it investigate why. Now why are you here?" he questioned.

I shrugged "There's power here, I'm looking to collect."

Cygnus nodded "that sounds appropriate dark things, attract more dark things."

I smirked at the fact that there was twice as many..."light" things here right now, than "dark" things.

"You're going to need more people, if this temple is ruined." I told Cygnus.

He nodded solemnly "I will keep that in mind during our investigation. Do you mind letting my squire go now?"

I raised a finger, and said "One moment." Before turning back to the squire "Next time read the freaking room before charging in. If you would have paid attention to your surroundings you would have known that I was not the culprit. Also, when attacking someone of unknown power don't announce yourself, you're just looking to get your ass kicked, just hit them as hard as you can while they're not prepared." I then let the squire go, and M'llard dropped to the ground gasping for air.

"Come numb nuts" Cygnus said, dragging his squire towards the door shouting back towards "hope we don't meet again."

I agreed, and went back to ransacking the temple.