Hybrid View

EXP: 22,896, Level: 6
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next Level: 4,104
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,104

GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    I returned Ezra’s glance with one of ice.

I’m not a person who gives up control lightly. I handed the reins to Murov because I had little choice, but I was aware of the risks. He could get us lost, or he could lead me straight to the Sway mage-hunters’ base of operations. I had no reason to trust him, but I preferred this to the other choice, which was to leave this duo behind and start back at square one. I detested the idea of admitting that the day had been one big failure.

As for Ezra…

This was my show. Mine. The purple-eyed midget intruded upon my life because they were too afraid to travel alone, and then acted as if the script was theirs to write and edit as they wished. They promised that I wouldn’t harm Myris? If that’s the way things unfolded, then I’d love to see Ezra try to stop me. A goose might as well try to turn back an airship.

Without a word, I handed the knife back to its owner and followed Murov. He led the way confidently, even though he’d just been knocked out and dragged an indeterminate distance through the forest. As I walked, my mind wandered back to the skirmish in the clearing.

I had always had an affinity for ice. The idea that it was more potent than my fire magic wasn’t a revelation – I knew that already. What I hadn’t expected was the enormous gulf between the two. Working with a mere split lip, my fireball had been so ponderous as to be impractical. In a real battle against a foe with half a brain, I wouldn’t be afforded the time to slowly build the blaze. Yet with the same minimal amount of blood, I conjured and fired a potentially-lethal piece of ice in the blink of an eye.

On impulse, I pulled up my sleeve to inspect my cut. My arm was smeared with dried blood, but the wound itself still oozed red. This was a good chance to practice. I shrugged the sleeve back down, then held out a hand and concentrated. A ball of ice appeared at my fingertips in an instant and rocketed away into the trees. A crack reverberated through the forest as it ended its flight on a sturdy trunk.

As expected; now for the unknown.

Sparks ignited and swelled into a small blaze. I fed it my power, growing it into a roaring head-sized ball. I watched it critically for a moment before allowing it to fizzle out. The entire process took perhaps three seconds; still long, though not unworkably so. The greater quantity of blood certainly made a difference. The strategy was clear – if I was only bleeding a little bit, stick to ice. If I was wounded, my options were much greater. But where was the boundary between ‘practical’ and ‘impractical’?

Bah. So many variables now. And I hadn’t even considered the other elements yet, such as lightning or air. I suspected that I was in for many long, painful nights of practice and experimentation before I developed any sense of comfort with my magic in its new form.

How I loathed this curse on my power.
    Last edited by Atzar; 11-03-2017 at 11:53 AM.

EXP: 5,029, Level: 3
    Level completed: 1%, EXP required for next Level: 3,971
    Level completed: 1%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,971

GP

Name
    Ezoreth "Ezra" Vrall
    Race
    Homunculi
    The cold glance of Atzar was responded to with a simple stare back, as if they were entirely unfazed by the glare. Ezra had made a promise to make sure no harm would come to the witch unless self-defense was a necessity, and it was a promise they intended to keep. There was no need for people to die unless absolutely necessary. The Church would definitely not let such an attack against them go unpunished, and would likely send agents after them in retaliation. The Homunculi had no intention of constantly having to watch their back for the rest of their life. With their knife back in its sheath, they followed behind Murov and at the side of the 'rebellious' mage.

Glancing between the mage hunter, the forest path that he was leading them on, and Atzar, the Homunculi couldn't help but wonder how they had been pulled into this strange turn of events. The only thing they had come out to do was figure out how to begin their fire spellwork and now they were a fugitive from the Church of the Sway or whatever these insane zealots were calling themselves. This was not the plan, and having to rapidly adapt to these sudden events left a sour taste in their mouth. Atzar suddenly released a ball of ice into the treeline, a loud crack of ice on wood echoing out. Murov jumped in surprise, then began cursing at the pain in his jaw. Apparently, the noise had him shift his jaw and caused him a good amount of injury. The ice spell Ezra had seen earlier, but when Atzar conjured flame, the Homunculi's eyes went wide.

"You can use flame magic!?" Ezra exclaimed almost incredulously, the gold runes embedded in the Homunculi's purple irises glowing once again. They could feel the fiery spell resting in their mind, the complex yet simple element imbuing them with a sense of passion and warmth, and they kept their gaze focused on the mage. "Can you teach me the ways of wielding fire magic? One of the reasons I journeyed out here to understand the science behind controlling flame magicks but unfortunately was unaware of the negative connotations of spellcasting in Salvar." They shot a look towards Murov, who was sneering at the two at the mention of magic. He quickly turned back, when Ezra started reaching for their hammer. The mage hunter let out a grunt and turned away, clearly dissuaded against arguing the point further.

"In return, I shall assist you in some form of endeavor to make us even in the trade."
    Briarheart: Quick, become a disciplinomancer and Groundaga him

(13:48:58) Nevin: Ezra can be whatever you need them to be
    (13:49:07) Nevin: Ezra doesn't judge.
    (13:49:18) ArcanaFate: Swiss army wife, basically.