Level completed: 1%, EXP required for next Level: 3,971
    Level completed: 1%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,971

GP

Name
    Ezoreth "Ezra" Vrall
    Race
    Homunculi
    The mining town was bustling as ever, and Ezra was enjoying the cacophony of miners making a ruckus at one of the local taverns or the sharp calls from travelling merchants with their various wares. If this is what society was like all over the world, the Homunculi would enjoy experiencing the different cultures and just... live. But, before they could do that, they needed to at least get their supposed magic power back. The old tome bounced against their hip inside of their satchel, and they couldn't help but sigh. That tome had continued to elude being opened, despite Ezra's best efforts.

But it could wait. Nan was waiting for them to get home.

As Ezra approached the small cottage where they were currently residing (thanks to Nan's generosity), the Homunculi couldn't help but wonder if this was what is was like to be a part of a family. To come home every night, sit down, and have dinner. To laugh during the good times and to cry during the hard times. There was a simplicity to that life that would always be wanted, but the Homunculi had a feeling that they would never have that life. Almost cursed to wander for eternity, in a way.

But for today, they would enjoy the 'simple' life.

The old door creaked and opened as they tapped the door twice, and a somewhat feeble call from somewhere within the cottage rang out. "Who's there?" The Homunculi laughed slightly as they continued stepping into the home and sliding out of their travelling boots. "It is just Ezra, Nan. I caught two rabbits for you out in the forest!" They responded, and a shuffling could be heard as the woman poked her head into the hall.

Nan was an older soul, perhaps in her sixties or so, who had lived in the town for decades. Despite her age, her stormy grey eyes hid a twinkle of youth and excitement. She was a gentle soul and quick with a laugh, but she was not above putting someone in their place. Even the burliest of the miners knew not to trifle with Nan or they'd get an ear full of curses or a swift smack in the rear. Sometimes both. Her back was hunched from years of hard work, and she was adorned only in a simple brown robe and soft shoes to wander the house in. Her grey hair was thinning, but lacking in any sort of bald spots and wrapped in a small bun. With a large grin (minus a few teeth), the elderly woman quickly beckoned for the Homunculi to join her in the room she had come out from.

"Come, come, child! I will make us supper fer the evenin'!" The old crone cackled, taking Ezra's hand and pulling them along the moment they were within arm's reach. "But first, le' me do yer hair, dear. It's gahtten so messy with ye playin' in tha trees all day! Such a prehtty girl like you shouldn't be so rough." Nan cooed, stopping at her chair and pulling on Ezra's hand to maneuver them to sit on the ground. The Homunculi didn't have the heart to correct Nan about their sex, and even the concept of a gender identity was somewhat foreign to them. But if Nan wanted to treat Ezra like a daughter and open her home to them, the Homunculi wouldn't argue. With a loud sigh of feigned defiance, the Homunculi sat in front of the chair. The old woman hummed softly, pulling on their braid and undoing it with a gentleness that would be reserved for a child from their mother. She hummed, running a brush and an old comb through the off-white locks and eventually reweaving the braid. Nan gave a small 'hmph' of triumph, she gave the Homunculi a small slap upside the head. "And that's fer bein' smart with me on doin' yer hair!" The two shared a small laugh as Ezra quickly rose to their feet from the floor.

"Now, I need ye to git some bread from tha smartarse baker for supper. It'll take me some time ta git it all ready, so go change out of yer messy clothes, put on somethin', and git yer arse inta town before ye git smack'd!" Nan barked, and the Homunculi furrowed their brow and (barely) looked down at the old woman. "But Nan," Ezra argued, "I do not have anything to change into..." The old woman stared at Ezra for a moment, then grinned a most devious grin. "Well, dear, let's see what ol' Nan can do abou' that..."

And that's how Ezra ended up in a dress.

It was a very pretty dress, in the Homunculi's opinion. Far too pretty to be worn by someone like them, but Nan had insisted they wear it once she had seen Ezra in it. It was a long informal dress, extending down to the feet and nearly tripping Ezra a few times. Off-white in color, the dress seemingly hadn't seen sunlight in a while but was still very well kept. The sleeves reached down to just above the wrist, with just enough room to breathe. However, the attention grabbing part to this outfit was the leather corset (which to Nan's immense displeasure, didn't accentuate any of Ezra's 'womanly charms') and the ochre sash tied around their waist. The sash itself was ornate, detailed with golden thread and beautiful designs. The Homunculi had argued against wearing such a fine garment, but the old woman had been adamant about it. "Ta gitcha a nice husband, sometimes ye need a lil' extra oomph!" She had cackled, which had left them somewhat flustered at the woman's brazenness. So out in a dress they went, off to buy bread for a saucy old woman they had begun to live with because being a caretaker for the old woman was honestly much more enjoyable than living in a small room at the inn.

They had quickly left the cottage with the small amount of coin Nan had handed to them but in their rush to escape Nan's embarrassing teasing, they had forgotten to ask where to go to find the proper baker. Glancing around, they placed a hand on the coin pouch wrapped tightly next to the sash and began to walk down the road in search of some form of bakery nearby. As they made their way through the crowd, they noticed a man seated near one of the local food establishments waving at them. Wait, waving at them? Ezra looked very confused at this random stranger trying to flag them down for some unknown reason. With unsure steps, the Homunculi made their way over to the man while studying his appearance. Decently dressed, dark red hair cut somewhat short, and looking somewhat dignified in posture. A noble, maybe?

Finally stepping up next to the man, the Homunculi looked down at the man with minor embarrassment and confusion. "I am sorry, but is there a reason you were flagging me down? I do not believe we have me-" Ezra trailed off, glancing at the book that the man had open next to him. Their purple eyes lit up almost instantaneously in recognition, the symbols a very clear indication of magic study. "Oh, how interesting! You have a book on... healing magic, it looks like. Are you a healer?"

EXP: 5,071, Level: 3
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 3,929
    Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,929

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Out on the street, standing on an old oaken soap box, Sketch began drawing his crowd in to him. Once he'd gathered up a decent audience, mostly children who sat in front of him, he sat down, one leg over his knee. He fiddled in his pack for his cheap, clay pipe. He spoke out to the crowd. "Has anyone ever heard the tale of Amlen and Rhyn as they searched for the tree of life?" He let his words spread around, using the time to light the hot burning clay pipe as well as to build a little anticipation.

Sketch knew that this story was one that children of all ages could enjoy, and he didn't mind bringing joy to people during the day. "The story begins over a thousand years ago, when a terrible sickness swept through the land. The plague caused great famine as all manner of life was brought low. It sawed through herds of cattle, fields of wheat, rivers of fish and entire forests, killing almost everything in it's path." Sketch turned his voice soft over the last bit to emphasize the drama.

"Eventually, even the great magics of the world could barely hold it back from effecting the great cities, and so a council was called for all of the wisest being in the world to come to a solution for the blight. Wisemen from the plains came, and clerics from the great temples answered the call...Witches from the swamps, and even the monsters sent their great warlocks to find a solution. For all of the wisdom that these folk possessed, none of them had the sense to agree on the best course of action, letting their differences drive them away from an answer." Sketch took another puff of the pipe to let the words sink in.

" Among the delegation, there was an elf boy who'd traveled to the conference with his father. Seeing the arguments as only a child could, he shook his head in frustration. In his dismay at seeing grown folk acting like children, he decided that perhaps it must be a child who acts like the adult. He wracked his head thinking of a solution of what could possibly be done to fix this problem. He remembered a story that he departed mother told him when he was with fever."

""Remember Amlen, if you are ever ill, there is one cure you can always seek. The fruit of the World Tree can cure all ills, so if you ever feel so badly that nothing can help you, I'll go and bring some back." She'd often come into his room carrying a piece of fruit for him when he was sick to make him feel better."

""We should look for the World Tree!" shouted Amlen, "Silence Boy!" shouted his father as he cuffed him on the ear."Don't interrupt your elders." as he went back arguing. Amlen, with tears in his eyes, slowly walked out of the meeting hall. He found a bench to sit on and he cried. Eventually he felt a hand on his shoulder, Amlen looked up and saw the eyes of a human girl. "You said we should look for the World Tree? My mother told me about it, it can fix anything.""

Sketch looked around for a brief moment, seeing that the crowd was enthralled.

""Where would we start?" asked Amlen, "My mother said that the fairies know where it is" the girl replied, "There's a fairy ring near by, we can ask them where it is." And so the two children walked off to find the ring of mushrooms that fairies are said to dwell near. When they found it, they laid milk and honey inside of it, and spun around three times. when they finished the last spin, they found a small winged creature inside the ring, sipping the milk and honey"

Sketch puffed once more on the pipe, allowing the scent of the tobacco to linger for a while before continuing on.

""Pretty children, I thank you for the gifts you've left me. I wish to give you something in return, if you'd wish it."said the little fairy with the voice like ringing bells. "Sweet fairy, we wish the fruit of the World Tree! We want to end this sickness that the plants and animals have so our parents will stop fighting like children."Rhyn responded."

""Fair child, this is no simple thing you ask of me, for as I can get you the fruit simply enough, only if it is planted can this darkness end." the cheerful voice replied. "Why is that so difficult?" asked Amlen."For the fruit can only sprout if a pact is made and honored upon it's planting." replied the fairy. "You two will have to promise to aid and protect one another, for the rest of your lives. If that oath is broken, the tree will wither and the magic will end, bringing this plague back across the world once more."

"The two children agreed to the oath, and the fairy bowed it's head and flew into the sky. The children waited until the sun was about to set, and as they began to despair that something had gone wrong, they heard the ringing voice of the fairy speak out, "I have brought the fruit for you, and remember what I've told you. For the rest of your lives, you must protect one another and give aid." and then the cheerful puck left. Amlen and Rhyn took the fruit, that was the color of pure gold, and planted it in the fairy ring. the two looked at each other and spoke the oath to each other. No sooner had the two finished the words, than a great silver tree sprouted from the ring."

"Pale light exuded from the tree, and all that the blight had caused to wither grew green and whole. The two children brought their parents to the tree, where they beheld the light, and saw that the children knew that it was story that was shared between the races that fixed the problem, as all of the adults could only see what drove them apart. "

"Amlen and Rhyn grew up, and honored that oath. going on many adventures and becoming great heroes. Upon their deaths, the two were buried beneath the tree, and to this day, it grows with bright light shining even in the middle of the night."

Sketch let the words drift, as the children were abuzz with excitement. He closed his eyes and puffed the pipe, and heard the clank of coins as audience clapped.

Truth be told, he didn't mind telling stories with happy endings, though he knew that deep down, things were much darker. He preferred to tell the stories that taught lessons, invoked fear, and appealed to the darker side of his personality. Stories were what he knew, who he was, and part of Sketch liked who he was.