Out on the street, standing on an old oaken soap box, Sketch began drawing his crowd in to him. Once he'd gathered up a decent audience, mostly children who sat in front of him, he sat down, one leg over his knee. He fiddled in his pack for his cheap, clay pipe. He spoke out to the crowd. "Has anyone ever heard the tale of Amlen and Rhyn as they searched for the tree of life?" He let his words spread around, using the time to light the hot burning clay pipe as well as to build a little anticipation.

Sketch knew that this story was one that children of all ages could enjoy, and he didn't mind bringing joy to people during the day. "The story begins over a thousand years ago, when a terrible sickness swept through the land. The plague caused great famine as all manner of life was brought low. It sawed through herds of cattle, fields of wheat, rivers of fish and entire forests, killing almost everything in it's path." Sketch turned his voice soft over the last bit to emphasize the drama.

"Eventually, even the great magics of the world could barely hold it back from effecting the great cities, and so a council was called for all of the wisest being in the world to come to a solution for the blight. Wisemen from the plains came, and clerics from the great temples answered the call...Witches from the swamps, and even the monsters sent their great warlocks to find a solution. For all of the wisdom that these folk possessed, none of them had the sense to agree on the best course of action, letting their differences drive them away from an answer." Sketch took another puff of the pipe to let the words sink in.

" Among the delegation, there was an elf boy who'd traveled to the conference with his father. Seeing the arguments as only a child could, he shook his head in frustration. In his dismay at seeing grown folk acting like children, he decided that perhaps it must be a child who acts like the adult. He wracked his head thinking of a solution of what could possibly be done to fix this problem. He remembered a story that he departed mother told him when he was with fever."

""Remember Amlen, if you are ever ill, there is one cure you can always seek. The fruit of the World Tree can cure all ills, so if you ever feel so badly that nothing can help you, I'll go and bring some back." She'd often come into his room carrying a piece of fruit for him when he was sick to make him feel better."

""We should look for the World Tree!" shouted Amlen, "Silence Boy!" shouted his father as he cuffed him on the ear."Don't interrupt your elders." as he went back arguing. Amlen, with tears in his eyes, slowly walked out of the meeting hall. He found a bench to sit on and he cried. Eventually he felt a hand on his shoulder, Amlen looked up and saw the eyes of a human girl. "You said we should look for the World Tree? My mother told me about it, it can fix anything.""

Sketch looked around for a brief moment, seeing that the crowd was enthralled.

""Where would we start?" asked Amlen, "My mother said that the fairies know where it is" the girl replied, "There's a fairy ring near by, we can ask them where it is." And so the two children walked off to find the ring of mushrooms that fairies are said to dwell near. When they found it, they laid milk and honey inside of it, and spun around three times. when they finished the last spin, they found a small winged creature inside the ring, sipping the milk and honey"

Sketch puffed once more on the pipe, allowing the scent of the tobacco to linger for a while before continuing on.

""Pretty children, I thank you for the gifts you've left me. I wish to give you something in return, if you'd wish it."said the little fairy with the voice like ringing bells. "Sweet fairy, we wish the fruit of the World Tree! We want to end this sickness that the plants and animals have so our parents will stop fighting like children."Rhyn responded."

""Fair child, this is no simple thing you ask of me, for as I can get you the fruit simply enough, only if it is planted can this darkness end." the cheerful voice replied. "Why is that so difficult?" asked Amlen."For the fruit can only sprout if a pact is made and honored upon it's planting." replied the fairy. "You two will have to promise to aid and protect one another, for the rest of your lives. If that oath is broken, the tree will wither and the magic will end, bringing this plague back across the world once more."

"The two children agreed to the oath, and the fairy bowed it's head and flew into the sky. The children waited until the sun was about to set, and as they began to despair that something had gone wrong, they heard the ringing voice of the fairy speak out, "I have brought the fruit for you, and remember what I've told you. For the rest of your lives, you must protect one another and give aid." and then the cheerful puck left. Amlen and Rhyn took the fruit, that was the color of pure gold, and planted it in the fairy ring. the two looked at each other and spoke the oath to each other. No sooner had the two finished the words, than a great silver tree sprouted from the ring."

"Pale light exuded from the tree, and all that the blight had caused to wither grew green and whole. The two children brought their parents to the tree, where they beheld the light, and saw that the children knew that it was story that was shared between the races that fixed the problem, as all of the adults could only see what drove them apart. "

"Amlen and Rhyn grew up, and honored that oath. going on many adventures and becoming great heroes. Upon their deaths, the two were buried beneath the tree, and to this day, it grows with bright light shining even in the middle of the night."

Sketch let the words drift, as the children were abuzz with excitement. He closed his eyes and puffed the pipe, and heard the clank of coins as audience clapped.

Truth be told, he didn't mind telling stories with happy endings, though he knew that deep down, things were much darker. He preferred to tell the stories that taught lessons, invoked fear, and appealed to the darker side of his personality. Stories were what he knew, who he was, and part of Sketch liked who he was.