Ashla was wary, although he seemed welcoming. No one could be trusted.

Nonetheless, the crackling fire seemed welcoming. The flames sparked the wood, hissing as it released smoke into the air. The ice mage slowly let go of her sword. Still on edge, still visibly anxious, she gently pulled her student.

They made way to the other side of the pond, away from the stranger. Deirdre pulled out an animal hide canister and instantly started with the water. It would need to be purified. Thankfully the alchemist equipment of her allies, the Sirvant Family and Felicity Rhyolite, had been granted as a borrowed traveling accessory.

As Deirdre fumed amongst herself, purifying the lake water and filling their water jugs, Ashla attempted to smile. She was too an introvert, "I dislike crowds myself. My friend and I will only be a moment."

Ashla pulled a dirtied white hood (it appeared more brown and grey now) over her head. She still kept her hand on her belt, ready to yank her sword out on a moment's notice.

No one was to be trusted.

The sound of Deirdre repeatedly pouring water through a filter was as soothing as the campfire in the distance. Still, Ashla was on gaurd. Her eyes were clouded in thoughts.

Okay, after we refill our water supply, we get the werewolf and get back to the nearby village. Then we ca-

-Rustling.

Alarm shot through the young woman's body. Adrenaline burst as she yanked out her sword. She pointed it at nearby water weeds... it was but a duck from the pond, which now was flying away.

Heavy breaths rose and fell from her chest. Deirdre looked up to her. While her face was emotionless, the attentive posture hinted at concern.

"Calm down"

The voice was fragile as bare feet stepping through shattered glass. She barely spoke, obviously, as her vocal chords were cracked. However, her tone was sturdy and surprisingly reassuring.

Ashla looked back at the young girl. She put her sword away again, sighing. "I'm sorry."

Her eyes briefly darted to the stranger by the fire, then back to Deirdre. She slumped in posture. Deirdre poured clean water into the canister. She spoke again, "Ashla, it is okay."

A small grin spread across Ashla's face, amused and touched, "Aw, you never use my first name."

Even more socially inept than her teacher, Deirdre completely took that comment the wrong way. Her posture straightened. "Apologies, Icebreaker."

Ashla facepalmed. - Then, what was that? - Alarm---Deirdre's hand made it to the hilt before Ashla could unsheath her blade. "It's a squirrel."

Ashla's pulse was still on the rise again. Always vigilant. Always on gaurd...