The sorrow on Nevin's face had vanished by the time she ran out of steam, her sides heaving as she tried to right herself. No, instead there was an anger, a trembling rage that was building in his spine. This - this thing tried to tell him to kill one of his few, precious friends? His apprentice?

“You are not the only one who has suffered.” He spat the words out, choked on rage. “I am literally the child of sacrifice, two people killed for mad men’s desire to bring a God to this world. Do not think you can try to command someone who has suffered to do your bidding, ghost.” Nevin’s empty hand had curled into a fist, clenching hard enough to drive his nails into his palm and make blood drip to the ground.

“And I will never hurt Ezra intentionally. She is nothing like the psychopath who was terrified of death who once lived here. She is sweet and innocent, and too blasted naive for her own good. Whatever that bastard tried, failed miserably. Ezra is one of the few people I consider a friend, and I will not let your grief injure her.” He drew himself upright, his eyes scanning the circle. If this ghost had only hatred left, he would not let it stay in this world any longer.

“You’re the naive one, child!” Her mood flipped once more, back into a high pitched screech. “That thing carries his soul! His very essence! Sure, it may be kind now, but for how long? He will take control eventually, and then what? AND THEN WHAT!? WHAT WILL YOU DO, BOY!? Will you let your so-called ‘friend’ live on, even though they’re an actual monstrosity?! That corpse, modified with magics to hide its true appearance? That corpse, brought to life once more through necrotic touch and deals with demons!? They are nothing more than a countdown to madness, and once he is in control, you cannot stop him. I could not stop him. What hope do you have against a man who bested the Fae?”

Nevin stilled, staring at the ghost. That was it, the true crux of the issue. The ghost was scared, scared of her death being truly in vain and Ezoreth returning. He gave the pitiable ghost a crooked smile, no mirth in the expression.

“I have faith that Ezra is stronger than he is. But if that madman did win somehow, and killed my friend in the process? I would rip him to shreds. Do not mistake my faith in my friend for blindness or weakness, Fae, and do not mistake me for a human. I do my best to ignore it, but I am most definitely not normal. And I do not have to abide by rules and restrictions as you did - he cannot trap me, and does not know I am watching and waiting for him.” He drew himself upright, and stared into the ghost’s eyes.

“But. I do not like the fact that any part of him is inside of her. So. I offer you a deal, and a chance for vengeance. Will you listen?”