“Well it’s funny you should mention that,” Ruby said with a wicked grin.

“Ruby!” Lilith barked.

The sisters looked sternly at one another, speaking reams between the silence. The peninsula soured, and the breeze died in pathetic fallacy. The dulcet tones of the babbling dragon carried on oblivious.

“What?” The spell singer shrugged and looked to Philomel. “We’re three ladies bereft of goals and souls and as it just so happens…”

“Philomel does not want to hear this.”

The faun pricked her ears.

“Oh, no, but I do!”

“Which is why I like you immensely dear.” Ruby stood and rummaged in her pockets for something. By her side, the assassin rolled her eyes and drew on the ether to do away with the tea which continued to pour and brew despite the lull in consumption.

“What do you have in mind?” The thought of Veridian afoot faded for just long enough for a spark of hope and meaning to ignite in the faun’s heart.

“I’ve recently been informed of a little ruckus in Scara Brae. Heard of the Innari?” She raised an eyebrow and produced a small roll of parchment formerly sealed with olive green wax. She held it arm’s length and Philomel took it with a nod.

“Goblins, basically,” Lilith chimed in. She knew Ruby too well to try and fight upstream through flood water. “And don’t say I didn’t warn you this was a bad idea when it all goes tits up.”

As Philomel read, one by one the tea cups and tea pot vanished in whorls of black sparks and a rush of blood to their heads. The table remained empty for a few wistful moments until Lilith plucked at invisible strings and conjured a black pot container and three sake cups from nothing. A little red ribbon tied a piece of silk over the taller vessel, indicating that it was a fresh bottle from the finest Akashiman press.

“Valeena thinks a war is coming?” The faun looked up from the scroll with a confused expression.

“Yes and no.” Ruby sat down with a huff. “She’s sent an envoy to the lands of the Innari to try and broker peace. To allow them to return to the city now that the Edict of Sorcerer Molyneux is repealed.” She shrugged. “Long story. But, well, the Innari are somewhat tribal and even if the envoy is successful, the more feral tribes aren’t going to see intruders walk into their forest.”

Philomel blinked with realisation.

“I told you!” Lilith baulked.

“You want to kill goblins? Talking, dancing goblins?”

“Oh, dear, don’t be absurd, no!” Ruby glanced out across the lake. “Starr Redmaw, chief shaman of his people wants us…me, well, us now anyway to find, and kill, the beast called Skarrgo.”

Delath snorted and all three of their hair dos flurried.

“Skarrgo…?” Philomel dropped the scroll onto the table and eyed the saki gingery.

“Well, he’s sort of like an earth elemental driven to the point of madness by having thousands of bonkers goblins worship him.”

“Oh.”

Thoughts of Veridian returned, and the cycle of bittersweet sorrow and enthusiastic love for life came full circle.