He had to admit, the sound of her claws on her beak was an odd one. It also made him curious - was that a learned gesture, one she was imitating from someone else who scratched their chin while they thought? Or did her beak actually have nerve endings and she could feel itches and the scratching? From what he knew, it was mostly likely an affectation, as bird beaks in natural animals - and in Aphrael - were not sensitive aside from pressure. He blinked and sat back as he tried to figure out how to answer her question. It seemed like she had forgotten their discussion about it back in the prison cells.

“Well. I’ve come to Raeria to investigate Lindequalme. Something about the place is calling to me. And I figured, since I was in the region, I might as well swing by and visit my closest friend.” Here he smiled at her. “This way, if I disappear, you know what happened at least. I'd hate for you to be in the dark if I somehow met my end.” He winced after speaking, realizing too late that that probably sounded rather grim and unpleasant.

“Meet your …?” her brow rose. “Okay, that is not going to happen. I remember you talking about the forest but didn't know that you wanted to do it so soon. It is a very dangerous place.” Folding her arms she ran her eyes up and down him. A spark flared in her mind as she realised he had called her his 'closest friend’. Surprise came into her eyes, but then a firm hand of her own. She was not his best friend in the world, that was silly. One of his closest he had meant to say, or really had said. Obviously. She couldn't let herself get away with too much hope, want and passion. In life she had other things to do than get overwhelmed with the messy politics of best friends.

“At least stay a day or so here. And I can … well at least provide more information. We've got the library at the house for instance.” Maybe she could even go with him. Make sure he did not die. Yes, she thought of him as one of her closest friends herself, a recent acquaintance outside of the closed world of Beinost and Vitruvion's service. But she would not mention that yet - rather she would talk to Vitruvion himself, when she had a chance. “I'm pretty sure we have a treatise on survival in Lindequalme, at least one.”

Hm. Her eyes had lit up for a moment there, before her hand tightened on her arm for a moment. Nevin for a second wished he could read minds - he was curious as to what had run through her thoughts there. As it was, he just rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, sliding his eyes away from her piercing gaze. She was definitely upset with him for his quite poor word choice, and he couldn't really blame her. If she had come up to him suddenly and said she was going somewhere he knew was dangerous, and casually mentioned she was just letting him know in case she died… He winced again.

“Sorry, sorry. I just thought that, of all the people I wanted to let know about my wanderings somewhere, you were top of the list. I don't have many people I care about, and you were there first.” Hopefully the apology would soothe that glare. That, and agreeing with her. He had been informed, rather forcefully, that when he was in the wrong about something, agreeing with the woman would at least mitigate some of her righteous anger.