Pushing open the door a light bell rang out. A cheery human greeted them from behind the counter and Stare nodded to her. Stepping aside the kenku let Nevin go forwards and discuss his wares, as she wandered deeper into the shop, eyes wandering over the hanging greenery. Succulent smells of rosemary and mint came to her nose and suddenly she felt hungry. But she remained silent and let the transactions take place.

Nevin slipped up to the counter, having glanced over the shelves and not seen what he was looking for. The man at the counter tilted his head and smiled pleasantly at the customer, his eyes only briefly flicking to Stare for a moment. Nevin caught the way they widened at the sight of her - so the clerk recognized his friend. Well. He'd keep quiet on that unless he had to start to raise a scene to get what they needed from here. He cleared his throat to draw the clerk’s gaze back to him before speaking.

“I'm in need of a couple of raw material herbs, and I heard you're the best to come to for inland plants.” Another flicker of the eyes. “I'm in need of two plants. I need caapi, and chacrona.” the clerk looked to Nevin, confusion on his face.

“Uh. I think we have those, sir, but I'll have to talk with the journeyman in charge first. A moment.” He slipped into the back, out of sight, and Nevin raised an eyebrow. So the clerk didn't know what they were, or even if they had the plants in stock. Annoying, but not entirely unexpected. A few seconds passed before what had to be the burliest Elf Nevin had ever seen came out from the back - and that was even comparing him to the ones that Nevin had known who worked at the smithy in Stonevale. The Elf looked Nevin up and down slowly, his eyes never once leaving the redhead.

“You know what those do together?” His voice was a low rumble, bland and steady as he stared at Nevin’s eyes. The Alchemist nodded slowly. “Hm. Fine, good enough. Demetrius.” A squeak from the back. “Bring up a few ounces of each of the two plants I pointed to. Now, you. I won't ask what you need this for, but I'd rather not hear about it from the constabulary. I'd hate to have to tell them who I saw you in the company of.” His voice was soft as he spoke, the words barely reaching Nevin’s ears. Nevin quirked an eyebrow as the clerk brought out two small bags stuffed with greenery and roots, and he paid for the plants without a word. A bow, and Nevin headed back to Stare.

“I have what we need from here. Shall we?” He inclined his head to the door.

With that Stare nodded, having heard the conversation and having expected nothing less. She gave the shop-worker a cautionary glance, warning her not to let it become a rumour. But then maybe Vitruvion already had that sort of reputation, to do things that were outside the law. Certainly he often walked a fine line, but there were various reasons why the government turned a blind eye to him. One was the taxes he paid, the other was his use. His private prison, the Hellhole, for instance, could make prior disappear well.