Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    "Many decades ago, when I was a young man and had decided to settle in Raiaera, after declining the offer to teach at the Istien Universities, I joined the militia. I was part of the Tel Celebarrna, the Silverwind, part of the elite force. Even though I was simply an ordinary soldier, I was still one of the Skyknights which, as you know, is the flying mounted squadron of the army."

A soft twitch of a smile came to his face.

"The bards at the Istien University made it possible for me to join, despite not being a citizen of the country, and found me a steed. Her name was Vanesse ... It means beauty. And she was a beauty. A full pedigree pegasus, who I knew as a foal and trained with. She was pure white, and possessed a fiery spirit. Just my sort."

Leaning back in his chair he ran a hand through his own long pale locks.

"That painting in the entrance hall is of me from those days. The uniform, in blue was standard for the Skyknights, with embellishments of my own. In those days I was happy, proud in fact of who I was. Venesse and I became easily one of the finest soldiers, skilled in all sorts of combat maneouvers, fighting with bow and spear."

Confused slightly, she tilted her head, hands gripping the seat beneath her. "But there's an owl in that picture, not a Pegasus."

Vitruvion paused and then nodded, a shine in his eyes of a fine, good memory.

"That would be Blaud, a tawny owl that I made was given. He served as a falcon might, assisting in the battles and when I was on scouting duty. Genuinely us three, Blaud, Venesse and I made a good company, and I did have a pleasant, fulfilling life. I reached the rank of captain, despite always wanting more, but I worked hard, I adapted to the situation I had been placed in."

Her beak parted. This was not the sort of man she knew, capable of living under orders from another. His pride had always been a distinctive feature of what she knew about him. The way he held himself, refused to accept his lot in life of living as an ordinary human. Instead he created things like the Hollow, which was, at its core purpose, to act as a controlled kingdom that he could not have. Would never have, unless circumstances changed.

"Yes, my dear, I was different then. Somehow I found joy, I found purpose on the back of Venesse, constantly establishing our bond. Perhaps I would have remained happy, with Blaud on my shoulder and Venesse carrying my weight, and perhaps I forgot what and who I was at times."

"So what changed?" She asked, incredulous. "Why did you go ... Back? You told me you refused the position at Istien due to it not suiting your wants in life, but someone being a Skyknight did?"

The god trapped in human form breathed in slow, his eyes dropping to his goblet.

"Venesse died. Killed in a battle by a wicked arrow, from my own side. Whether it was an accident or deliberate, I never found out, but the anger that I felt, and the things I did in an attempt to discover the culprit reminded me of who I was and what potential I had."

He breathed in, deep, his eyes for a moment filled with a peculiar, deep sadness. Stare focused on that, her heart pounding as she saw the rare moment of her employer showing his deeper, rawer emotions.

But then in a sudden moment it was gone, vanished as determination took over.

"I am what I am, Stare. Blaud stayed with me for the rest of his natural life, and then I travelled, going from Hernsford to Fallien. Finally I came back to Raiaera and settled here, in Beinost. Once here I decided to face up to what I truly desired, what I had been denied, and I built my empire here."
    Last edited by Philomel; 11-10-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."