"My lord ... If mortals can not be trusted, then why are there those outside who are allowed to remain here?"

It was Sabazios who answered my question. "They are those who have proven themselves loyal after all this time. Quansaldo conducted ... Tests to see if they were honest, and good men."

"And what about me?" I said as I realised. "Am I not just a mortal? How can I serve when I am one of those who has betrayed you?"

Vindrexis sighed and leant to lay a firm hand on the back of my head. I felt the touch like a father consoling his child.

"Mortals were born to serve. It is my understanding that in your life you were a soldier, is that not correct?"

I nodded slowly. I was sure of that fact at least.

"And so you were trained to follow orders. Besides, you are no longer mortal, you are our undead. You know where you stand."

I thought about where I was and who I was. My mind logically connected the dots and knew that these two beings were the ones I owed my existence and therefore my entire loyalty to.

Closing my eyes I slid to my second knee and bent my back further to the ground.

"You have done me a great honour. I am sorry for not seeing that before. I have been given a gift that some mortals will kill to achieve. I am yours, my lords."

The hand slowly removed from my head.

"Do you, Avin, swear fealty to me, your creator and master, Vindrexis Quansaldo?"

I took a moment before replying. "I do."

"And," said Sabazios. "Do you also to me, your master and creator, Sabazios."

"I do," I murmured.

And I felt a great inner peace. I had two supernatural powers to serve, I had a new life and a new purpose. I had a mission - to bring about the downfall of an evil man, who had strange thoughts of how mortals should be. Yes, something in the back of my mind was telling me that mortals should have a choice - but then I reasoned that before me were a half-god and a demon. They made me, they had to speak the truth. It was only natural that they knew the order of things. Would do.

Should do.

I was naive, I realised, coming from a people who knew so little about themselves. I had been subject to the words of the kami all my life - but who were they than just spirits? These were the real authorities, these were the real powers.

I was but a child, and they could show me the reality of the world.

"If I may ask, my lords," I looked back up to the individuals I now served, "How long was I in death?"

A pause, and Vindrexis looked right back at me. "Approximately five years and some months," he replied, "As far as my calculations can figure."

I nodded in thanks. "And may I ask where we are?"

Sabazios' large chest rose and fell. "My home. My central temple. The Tular Plains."

I blinked a few times, my eyes dropping to the hard stone floor. Of course. Tular Plains, the home of demons. Technically not a country, but baring the entrance to various hells and holding the worship places of many, many dark creatures.

Or lighter ones, of excess. Hence the volume of this demon, and the decor of wine goblets and food. I also imagined that there were more physical celebrations of excess also often.

Maybe not now though, with how serious things had become. Sabazios had been being betrayed by his followers this whole time after all. Those outside were likely the closest, most loyal who had proved themselves.

"Thank you my lord," I replied.

There was a collective short pause, then Vindrexis clicked his fingers. It grabbed my attention and I looked up, at the one who had arranged my murder outside.

But that had been to prove a point. To prove the extent of my new powers.

"Right. I want to teach you how to use your other main ability now that I can detect," Vindrexis said.

I furrowed my brow but looked ready and was willing.

"My lord?"

"Come," he gestured.

And I followed him outside.