Gripping my naginata tightly I watched as sic figures gathered around a fire. They were all of various forms, sizes and genders and had a great array of weaponry from what I could tell. Colours of white, purple and red stood vividly in my vision alongside shapes of twisted, round and more stocky variety. A noise behind me and I had moments to disappear out of the way before a seventh figure stepped into the light.

Tall and muscular this one was mightier than the rest. Thin, wirey hair and a wild look in his eyes. Part of me could tell that this particular individual was dangerous and I felt myself knowing that I would suffer incapacitation - death - in a matter of seconds if I engaged just he.

Thus I let the man take his place along with the fireside companions and when there was enough noise I ascended a tree.

It was there I could firmly get a sight of all individuals, silhouetted or not.

A red haired man, human in form, stood as the seeming head of the group. His dark eyes were lit with intrigue as he surveyed his people, and a soft smile played on his lips. I took him to be strong, but possibly not beyond a single fell of my naginata. He turned and started up towards the castle, allowing me a brief look of the others.

Another human male, older and shaggy. He looked experienced but not too daunting as a dueling enemy. Then there was an odd feline form of a being, one I had never seen. She had small pointed ears and a twitching tail, but a human face. Something close to a kenku in half-species but with more human. Odd. I passed her off for the sake of the next.

A woman who was not a woman, beside another of her kind. Before I had thought them both the one being but now I saw ... Two. Two plants, twisted vines as if they were of the forest itself. Four glowing eyes from beneath shadowed faces, odd and intriguing. I had no idea what they were but my senses longed to study them, see what might happen beneath my poison touch ...

A further being I assumed human, with white hair but no discernable gender. I passed her - him - them over for the creature now walking. My chest felt like it should be tightening as I was filled with wonder at the sight of one of my own kind, but perfectly black. With a sheer, glossy coat and no broken feathers. Gripping the branch I was on tight I extended myself out as excitedly I watched her. For she was a her. Dressed in a dark chainmail, eyes full of darkness and determination. She strode with purpose, with strength and there was a moment of me that thought ... That wondered ...

Could I know her? Should I know her? Was it possible for me to dart from this tree and catch her alone? Explain who I was, what I had become?

See her horrified face as I appeared, broken and pale and ugly?

The thought struck me and my eagerness to jump from the branch faltered. A lump formed in my throat as I remembered my orders from Vindrexis, the lord I had sworn myself to, to simply observe. To not take part. Just observe.

But her. There was something about her.

I sat as an emotionally struggling mess as she spoke to the newest figure. She took papers from his hand, then paused and followed him up the path into the house. Getting away. From me.

Observe. Do not speak. Do not interact.

Just observe.

Damn my new life.