Marv gave a guttural growl with each swing of his mace, but his weapon was battered aside by the demon’s fiery tentacles. Opposite her leader, Selima worked her spear with swift determination, but worry shone in her dark eyes. The air crackled from the strikes of those purple flame whips, and blistering gashes appeared on Marv’s back where blows landed. Selima still proved elusive enough to avoid injury.

“Fools,” Arkboss laughed, his voice surprisingly smooth, “you thought a mere ambush could best me?”

I wanted to help them, but I needed to stay with Flint and Nessa until Long finished healing their wounds. The shimmering dragon pulsated and then released a wave of healing energy. I felt my stamina rejuvenated, and knew all of my allies would feel the same effect. Flint lifted his longsword, suddenly able to see, and rushed to rejoin the fight. Nessa was slower to recover; the wound on her neck had been severe.

A portal opened in the air right next to me, its twin directly behind Arkboss. I hopped through and swung for his neck, a blow which would have cleaved the head from any man’s shoulders.

The demon was no man. The purple aura seemed to offer it some protection, and its flesh was still as strong as any save that of an ancient dragon. My crystal sword was as sharp as mythril, and yet it only opened a small wound where it should have beheaded the being. I must have opened a vein though, for green blood spurted forth, soaking the front of my sifan jacket. I growled and poured my arcane potential into my sword, making it stronger, as sharp as adamantine. I stabbed for the demon’s core, but one of his purple tentacles parried me with embarrassing ease. Marv, Selima, Flint and I stood in a rough square around Arkboss, fighting for our lives, and we could barely land a blow.

Suddenly a feathered arrow protruded from Arkboss’ neck. He turned, and the next shaft struck his shoulder, its mythril bodkin head puncturing aura and natural armor. Nessa was on her knees, bow held horizontally, firing as swiftly as she could. I reared back for another try at the demon’s neck, realizing we were about to win.

Arkboss’ aura changed to green in the blink of an eye. He gave one last laugh and tossed two pulsating emerald fireballs. One arced toward Nessa. The other rose straight above him, but when it fell he was no longer there.

I realized the bastard had teleported and opened a portal to a mountain ridge some hundred yards away. It appeared as a hole in the air behind Selima. I dove and pushed her through, rolling after her as the portal vanished behind me.

The green fireballs struck.