Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    The portal opened into a back alley in Radasanth’s bazaar district. My leather boots landed on the dirty cobblestone and I allowed the hole in the air to close behind me. On my back I carried a heavy haversack purloined from Arkboss’ possessions. I had just come from visiting the Hunter’s Retreat in Serenti. I’d spread the word of Marv’s group passing, so that eventually it would reach the ears of their loved ones. I also learned the location of a particular shop in Radasanth, which I had heard tell of in the past but never visited. I’d never had a reason.

I trudged past hawkers and storefronts, sidled between shoppers and prostitutes, and circled past carts and wagons. The bustle of the marketplace was a mere ringing in my ears, for the roar of the fire inside me all but drowned out other sounds. It drove me forward despite the fatigue in my limbs, despite the anguish that wrenched at my soul. I had felt that fire before, and knew that it would burn until I hunted Arkboss down and finished the job.

The damned demon needed to die.

But I could be patient - I’d learned my lesson about running after him half cocked. Marvin, Selima and the crew would not have died for nothing. Their loss would be my wisdom, their suffering my fuel.

Rusted bells jangled above the door as I pushed into the nameless little shop. It was set in a side street between a cheap tavern and a questionable fishmonger. I guessed that the foul odors wafting from the neighboring buildings were welcome, as a means of covering any smells that came from the shop. The services provided there were not exactly legal, and heavily frowned upon by most people outside the hunters’ community.

The shelves were full of clothing and other objects made from all manner of leather, the walls adorned by many glassy-eyed taxidermied heads. An aging man with only a few granules of pepper in his salty hair came out of the back room and leaned on the counter, examining me through thick spectacles. I saw him take in my eyepatch, the sword on my back, and the flecks of green ichor still decorating my jacket sleeves. He smiled, thin lips cracking.

“A demon hunter, aren’t yeh? ‘Aint seen yew before. How’d yeh find me?”

“A bartender at the Hunter’s Retreat in Serenti gave me the address. I hope it’s alright, arriving without an appointment.” I needed this man’s skills and expertise as much as I’d needed the blood alchemist. My ordinary sifan and leather clothing offered little protection against the dangers I faced on a daily basis.

“No matter. I’m not busy.” The aging man gestured around at the empty shop. “What’ve yeh got for me then?”

I unshouldered the haversack and plopped it in the center of the counter. The tanner’s knobbly hands moved with steady assurance as he undid the drawstrings and peered inside. His smile grew until it filled his face, displaying several gaps in his teeth.

“Haidian hide,” he said, reaching into the bag with one hand to feel the mixture of scale and flesh. “Been awhile since anyone brought me this. What’s it for?”

“I’d like a full tailored outfit made from it. Jacket, pants, boots, and gloves. Can you do that?”

“Aye, I’m a fine tailor.” He said with a bob of his head. He hefted the weighty sack. “Musta’ been a big bastard yew killed. Still not quite enough hide here for all that, though. Would just the jacket and boots suit yeh?”

I sighed and nodded.

“That’s fine,” I said, “unfortunately, the demon got away.”

“That’s good. Plenty here for a… what did yeh say?”

“The demon got away before I could kill him.”

A menacing glint appeared in the tailor’s eyes.

“We’d best get yew measured and suited up then,” he said, taking a tape measure from his pocket and moving around the counter. “Can’t have enraged Haidians racing about the world. Yeh do intend to hunt him down and finish him, I expect?”

I narrowed my lone eye as he set about measuring my slender shoulders.

“Yes,” I said with absolute certainty, “he suffered enough in losing his skin. The next time we meet, I know that I’ll kill him. There’s just something I need to do first.”
    Last edited by Breaker; 12-10-2017 at 06:40 PM.