Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    BOOM!

The fireballs exploded in rough unison, creating a spray of fragmented stone. I threw myself on top of Selima and shielded my eye against the wave of dust that reached us a moment later. When I brought my hand down, there were only black scorch marks where Marvin and Flint had stood. The mouth of the tunnel had caved in, burying Nessa if the blast had not killed her.

A long moment passed, in which the explosion echoed along the mountain range.

“Get off me,” Selima growled, punching me in the ribs as she scrambled to her feet. “I could have helped them…” she trailed of as she saw the wreckage left by the demon’s green fire.

Arkboss appeared back in the same spot I’d last seen him, looking around at his handiwork with a satisfied smirk. The gash I’d opened on his neck appeared to be healing already, the flow of green blood having already ceased.

Selima let out a scream, something that might have been Fallieni words, or just a release of energy. She raised her spear and sprinted across the mountaintop toward the demon.

“No!” I shouted, and opened a hole in the air to catch up to her. “Selima,” I panted as I came up behind her, almost close enough to grab her. “You can’t beat him. Let’s pull back and-”

Arkboss saw the two of us grouped together and his grin widened. He drew his Alerian six shooters from holsters on his hips and fired a rapid succession of shots in our direction. Some of them went high and wide at such a range. The rest struck Selima in the chest. She was standing right in front of me. I caught her as she fell, lowering her gently to the ground, my sword hanging loose in one hand.

“Long!” I shouted to the dragon spirit that lived within the crystal blade. “Breathe!”

The dragon’s shimmering emerald head appeared above mine, and she exhaled a shower of wooden spikes in Arkboss’ direction. The demon holstered his guns and activated his black aura, the extreme temperature burning up the spikes before they could reach him. But at least it bought me a moment.

“Hold on,” I said, preparing to lift Selima back up, “I’m getting you out of here.”

“Jake,” she smiled as I lifted her head. “Don’t let the bastard go unpunished.” And then she died in my arms. I released her and stood up in time to see Arkboss draw his guns again and take aim. Adrenaline spiked in my bloodstream, and I screamed the only word I could think of. The word carved into my forearm.

“Coward!”
    Last edited by Breaker; 12-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.