“She’s turning into her sister…” It was his turn to pout.

He wandered towards the unwashed rabble, their once pristine uniforms torn and muddied. Beards and tattoos peppered the crowd, telling the swordsman that they were a mix of free folk and former naval officers who had left for richer climates but flocked bac to the docks in defence of their homes. He had to admire them. The five duchies that made up Scara Brae society were always taking pot shots at one another, but when a common enemy appeared there was no greater strength of unity to be found in the world.

“So that’s settled then!” Killian clapped appreciatively. He looked around for signs of trouble, a forgotten comment slipping untimely from nervous lips. When nobody had anything else to say he looked around and caught Lilith’s eye. “Lady Kazumi?”

“No objections here.”

Arden pushed through and raised a hand.

“Maester Janelle…” Killian furrowed his brow, warning the swordsman to mind his tongue.

“I’ll need two good fast men for a little errand.”

Nobody rushed to put up their hand.

“What for?” The captain found two names immediately from the roster in his head.

“To light a signal fire from the outcrops once we’ve emerged victorious. It’ll let the city know that reinforcements are on the way and that they can muster their counter attack.”

“Away from the fight?” Killian chuckled. “You’ll get no volunteers for that, so I’ll send Bran and Durma.”

Two sailors swore very loudly, but returned to their dutiful attention when the captain clocked them. They looked like siblings. Durma’s long blonde hair couldn’t hide the fact that she too was a veteran and they were covered in scars earned only by misfiring blasting charges. Miners, and more than used to running the long tunnels between deposits.

“Thank you,” Arden tried to hide his smile. “You’ll get your chance when we retake the walls.”

She glanced at her brother and mumbled something that Arden could only assume was aimed at him. He looked to Killian and nodded.

“Good. That’s everything, then?”

Nobody said a word.

“Right.” He turned to the shore and clocked the distance. The wind had carried them quicker than expected. “Land ho! Get that rigging down to drifting speed and polish your weapons.”

The roar that erupted made Lilith flinch, and before either of them could draw their weapons the crowd dispersed, and the ship returned to it’s bustling self. Men and women climbed up and down rigging and descended into the hold to retrieve the arms chests with the zeal and excitement you only found on the dawn of conflict.

“Any more pious words Little Fox?”

“You had all that time to think of a comeback and you disappoint me.” Lilith embraced Arden and hugged tight, retreating only when she felt him tense uncomfortably. “You’re losing your touch.”

“I half wish I hadn’t found my voice again…” He stuck out his tongue.

“Well, now’s the time for action, so is there anything else you want to tell me before we get to it?”

“Oh, no, I’ve learnt my lesson.” He unsheathed his sword and rested it on his right shoulder. “Do you need to pray?”

Lilith nodded.

“It will do us all good,” she paused to tighten her oni and remove the trapper hat from her head. She handed them to her brother and, now better dressed to commune with the Kami, she left his side to find a quieter spot at the front of the ship. Arden found himself alone, his thoughts growing too loud to drown out and the dragon in his heart too restless to fight back. Rage, anger, and strength took over the calculating mind of its master – his sword hummed, eager for blood.