“All of them.” Killian down his drink and corked the rum. Despite his sea legs, there was too much still to do to spend the day half cut and singing.

“Every Knight?” Arden raised an eyebrow, a smirk on his face as much from his growing sense of inebriation as the play on words.

“Don’t be absurd! There’s a detachment on board and a hundred good men waiting for us on the coast north of the forest. City guard mostly, half with bows, half with sword and shield.”

“The Queen was very sincere when she said we had the full strength of the city at our disposal.” Lilith nodded, though she left out the part about having to fund and barter for such services.

“As long as she pays us this time I’ve no complaints. Have they seen a real battle yet?”

Killian looked bashful.

“I’m afraid to say the city guard are hit and miss. Most are newly drafted, but have the full training available to them – I oversaw some of the drills myself. The Knights I hand picked from the Raiaera contingent. They’re used to fighting things beyond petty crooks and brigands, so they’ll not falter at the sight of a catapult flinging shit at them.”

“Charming!” Lilith stood, but thought better of it when her knees gave way. She managed to return to her seat without embarrassing herself too much. “Ugh. Sea sick,” she grumbled.

“That’s good enough. I don’t suppose you’ve scouted for numbers?” Arden knew enough about the Innari to know they what they lacked in skill they more than made up in idiocy and crowds.

“We’ve had conflicting reports over the last two days. There are nearly a thousand camped outside the city limits, and we’ve been unable to get an accurate number for the villages in the forest itself. I’d wager we’re in for a fight and a half. Outnumbered is not even close.”

“Good.”

“Good?” Killian raised an eyebrow.

“An over confident enemy is prone to making mistakes, and without their shamans they’ll have to rely on stabbing us with rusty daggers and raking eyeballs with infected nails.”

“You make that sound as if it’s preferable to fireballs?” The captain sighed. “You’re right, though. Wise as ever. I’ll need to see to the ship and crew now I’m afraid. I’ll leave you two to decide on a plan of action,” he jabbed a finger at the map. “We’ll land by the golden pin, but we can attack from any angle and relocate our forces if you command it.” With a grunt, Killian rose and shuffled out from behind the desk. He got to the door and stopped, shaking hand clutching the polished oak doorframe to steady himself.

“Killian?” Lilith sounded concerned, but the captain stood up straight and ventured out into the sunlight and salty air before she could stop him.

“He’s getting old, bless him.” Arden sheathed his blade and circled the map with an inquisitive expression.

“I’m worried about him.”

“He’s half drunk, a sea captain, and a veteran of the only war to grace this little heaven on earth. We’ve got more important things to worry about, like not dying and having a city to go home to come sunset.” He pointed at the landing point, but Lilith’s attention remained fixed on the open doorway. She pursed her lips, losing count of the times the captain had lost his balance or train of thought in recent days and worrying that his exposition was not quite finished.