Nevin slowly slid his eyes back and forth between the women. Eteri seemed nervous about something, while Ayaka was clearly getting angry about it. He reached over and squeezed Eteri’s knee reassuringly before looking out the window, biting his tongue. He could understand maybe one word in every ten, and then only the most basic ones. He and Eteri had focused on working more on her learning to handle tradespeak better, and his learning Akashiman had been a secondary concern.

This was going to be a fun trip. He would be a barbarian who could barely speak the language, being dragged around by a woman who clearly didn't like him. He just hoped that they would be able to help Eteri. Keeping the soul bit ‘benign’ was all and good, but he didn't fancy waking up with her tentacles getting invasive again. His hand let go of Eteri's knee and he rub his throat - something was bothering him, like a warm almost burning but not quite feeling. It made no sense - and his internal magic didn't seem to be reacting to it at all.

He frowned and looked out the window, his eyes widening a bit as he leaned forward. “Hmm? Is that Ninyama?” In the distance was what looked like a fairly active city - and it seemed to be on the road that they were traveling. Nevin rubbed his throat again, then frowned and began rummaging in his pouches to see if he had brought along any cough suppressants.

“Yeh.” Ayaka said, sounding bored. “What? Allergic to fresh air?” She asked as she turned her face to his.

“Hardly. I'm not sure what the issue is.” Nevin didn't even look up, though there was a strange scratchy note in his voice. He sat back and tossed a suppressant into his mouth before shrugging. “First for me.”

He was aware of Eteri’s eyes on him, wide and staring. Her full lips pressed into a worried pout. She hadn’t said anything but her expression was so clearly concerned for his well being.

He gave his preferred catgirl a smile. “I'm sure I'll be fine, Eteri. People have been dealing with coughs for years.” Nevin was not saying that the cough suppressant was not helping. He squeezed her leg, and let the two fall back into talking in the native tongue, his throat burning steadily.

An hour had passed and the sights of countryside gave way to houses dotted close together, then, a village. Various people walked the streets, most were Nekojin; fully furred and bipedal catfolk. A few elves, half-breeds and even gnomes dotted the streets. But few to no humans. Especially ones as tall as Nevin.

He definitely felt out of place - more so because he could see the way that many people were looking at him, their eyes widening when they traveled up his length, then freezing at his blood red hair. It was currently draped across his shoulders and hanging down between his shoulder blades on his back and was probably more eye catching than he normally felt it was.

“Right.” Ayaka said abruplty, causing Nevin to shift his eyes to her. “I need to go to the temple. Inform them of what’s going on.” She pointed down toward a path that veered off to the left, red gate-like structures were dotted along it, and tiny little stone houses were nestled in the grass along the paths edge. “I may be a few hours. You two have fun. Just don’t go fuckin’ each other in the streets.” And with a flourish of her hands, and the gentle sway of her hips - Ayaka was gone. Down the path. Leaving Nevin alone with Eteri.

He blinked several times then slowly slid his gaze back to Eteri, who was looking increasingly nervous. He didn't know why at first, until he saw some people giving her ugly looks. He couldn't understand what the people around them were saying, but from the way she was acting it couldn't be good. He stepped towards her and pulled her in close, wincing slightly as his throat tingled almost painfully.

She stepped back, placing a palm on his chest. “Is the uncommons...to have the ...showing of ...feels here. Touching and hand holding and kissing is like...the strange here… things that be behind the closed doors.”

He studied her for a long minute, then nodded. This was not his country, or one he was that familiar with. He could see that Eteri wanted to be closer, but that she was keeping her distance for propriety’s sake. “I'll try not to do that again. I'm sorry.” He bowed his head, hiding his frustration at the scratchiness in his voice as he spoke.

She offered him a warm smile, it faltered as he cleared his throat again. “Nevin....throat still hurting the you?”

“A bit. Ahem. ‘is your throat still hurting you.’” He gave her a patient, warm smile. One that faded as he continued. “And a bit. I'm not sure why - I don't have any allergies, and if I did they would not come on so quickly.”

She frowned and looked around. “Would the food or the medicals help? Can go to the which?”Nevin frowned and drummed his fingers against his arm. He wasn't sure which was what he needed, maybe some food would help?

“Are there any ramen places around? I loved yours, I want to see if any others are as good.”
She smiled at him, and gestured for him to follow her.