Grass and earth died...

The darkness made manifest reminded the old Paladin of something else he'd seen once before but couldn't recollect at that point in time.

There was a more serious matter at hand...

The fifteen lances of energy, void energy, cascaded towards Lorenor with the intent to kill. He's not messing around. I have to figure this out... But it happened all at once. The grass blades burnt to ash as the void energy passed through them and towards Lorenor. The Paladin growled and cursed out loud, readying his sword in a feeble attempt to stand firm.

And then something happened.

Just as the void energy came cascading at Lorenor an old memory resurfaced.

He was not entirely certain what had just happened...only that the manifestation of the void had awakened something from deep within...

He found himself above the battle-field for a moment or two as time seemed to slow down. I'm all talk...I'm going to die.

A voice called from the manifestation of the void. That is not true. You've been here before...

Lorenor turned towards the void and saw...a reflection of HIMSELF in the void. "Long ago...you died just like you are about to die now. Protecting them...those peasants. Those...animals." The dark Lorenor kept his eyes on Lorenor as he spoke. "You have only begun to understand the nature of who you really are. Lorenor."

"Go on..." Lorenor responded to himself from the void.

"Sei Orlouge did not save you from yourself...Reformation with the Ixian Knights has only culminated in this exact moment passing. It has transpired before, and it will always transpire."

"What are you saying?" Lorenor asked.

"Awaken, boy." The void commanded of Lorenor.

Fifteen lances of purest void energy struck their mark true. Making short work of the old Paladin. But the void itself had just told him that the exact event had occurred before. Lorenor was crouching on the ground, having narrowly survived the assault. Black blood pouring down his mouth, his weapon against the dead ground. Energy swirled off of Lorenor as a vapor, steam cloud might. Lorenor was coughing and gasping at that point, spitting up blood...but something had clicked...something from DEEP within. The true nature of who I am...what I am... Lorenor knew he was an Undead. A member of the scourged races of Althanas. That much he could never deny.

However, at that precise moment...Shinsou had done something to him.

In the back of his mind, Lorenor heard the void calling out to him. Live you bastard...show them who you really are.

The black blood, the mark of undeath, flowed freely from him. Yet the vessel of his body remained alive somehow. He would never really know exactly what had happened...only that it had. Lorenor was badly injured, but could still act and function. He wrapped his hand around the grip of his weapon and stood up very slowly. He faltered for a moment, falling down, but soon got back up mustering his ancient strength again. I am Undead... Lorenor thought to himself. His armour had been destroyed by the fifteen lances.

But the fucker still lived.

Somehow...he lived. "You probably think you've already won..." Lorenor began. "That was a nice trick...I'll give you that." He said coughing up black blood, fueled by Undeath. He knew he still had much to learn about everything that was going on with him...but that would be another journey. Now he had to focus his attention on Shinsou. "I hope that was not your only trick." Lorenor taunted, he was finding it difficult to stand up straight. But he would manage. The important thing was that his sword had survived the onslaught somehow. He was prepared to fight Shinsou to the death...