Jake made it back to the Dansdel without running into Isabelle, but failed to find Amari in the stands. He was just turning to head toward the greenhouse when Joshua Cronen stepped out from behind a hay cart.

“Jake,” Breaker said, his face for once not spread in a stupid grin. “Have you seen Amari? When she wasn’t at the greenhouse I figured she’d be here.”

“Keeping pretty close tabs on her, aren’t you?”Jake retorted. He tried to walk past the man but Breaker flowed at his side like a hunting jungle cat.

“You’re her best friend, as far as I can tell.” The sheriff said. “Where do you think she might be?”

“How should I know? I was about to go looking for her at the greenhouse, so you’re one step ahead of me, Breaker.” Jake changed directions, turning down a different road, but the damn man moved like a ghost and stayed with him. “Look, maybe she went for a walk in the woods. That’s something you’d have advised, right?”

“Maybe,” Josh said, “or maybe she’s just back at the inn. If I do a quick patrol around the town, will you check her room?”

Jake bit back another retort and took a deep breath. Breaker seemed concerned, and he was just trying to help. And in any case, Jake needed to find Amari before he lost the handkerchief.

“Alright,” he relented, slowing his pace. “She likes that place by the tree where you found us some time ago. Start your search there. I’ll head to the inn.”

“Thank you,” the sheriff said, and hurried away.

Jake turned in the direction of their inn when a familiar blonde head and generous pair of breasts appeared in front of him.

“Jake!” She exclaimed, delighted as she quickly took his arm in her own. “So good to see you! For a moment there I thought you were going to run off on me.” She laughed. “I thought you were going to go train, isn’t the Dansdel in the opposite direction? Did something happen?” She sounded at least a little concerned.

“No, nothing happened,” Jake said, “I just forgot my…” he trailed off as he realized his tonfa was hanging from his hip. “I mean… yes, something happened, but I shouldn’t talk about it.” He said to give himself more time to think.

Isabelle tightened her grip on his arm. “Why not? You can tell me, maybe I can help?”

“No it’s just… there was this guy I got in a fight with a while ago. Actually, there was three of them. But one of them challenged me to a duel with live weapons. I need to get my sword.”

“Oh… well, let me come with you. I’ll be like emotional support!”

It was clear he was not going to get rid of her.

“Oh, yeah,” Jake said, wondering why he had to be such a terrible liar, “but the duel’s not until tonight.”

“Tonight? Jake! We had plans...what about the carriage ride?” Isabelle let him go and stood in front of him, her hands on his chest. “If it’s not till tonight….why retrieve it now?” She looked up at him with those sad, puppy dog eyes. “If we miss out on that ride, will you make it up to me now?”

“Well I wanted to get some practice in with the sword,” Jake explained, “the weight is all different from the stick.”

“Either way I’ll be by your side!” Isabelle said with a bright smile. “Through thick or thin. That’s what partners do, right?”

Jake stifled a grimace and managed to smile instead. He couldn’t take Isabelle to the inn with him, that would ruin everything… in any case, Breaker would probably check there after he searched the forest.

“Alright,” he said, “I’ll make it up to you now. What would you like to do?”

“You~” She said with a coy smirk. “C’mon - I know a place.”