One minute I was minding my own business, trying to find my way to Barchie’s store. I was staring at a particular shopfront which looked strangely familiar, as though I had seen it three times...just that day…

Ah!

Oh Dangit I was going around in circles. I sighed and turned on my heel to try and retrace my steps when -

CRASH!

“G-Gah!” I immediately hissed, clawed hands trying to swipe at whatever big black giant thing had tackled me to the floor. I bit down but my mouth didn’t hit flesh, instead...wait….feathers I turned my head to the side, ‘Bleh!’ I spat out the two I had accidently ripped off. I rolled out from underneath the giant bird and scratched my tongue. “Bleh..Bleh….” I did not like the taste.

Then, I heard it, a growled clicky mumble in Akashimian. My ears swiveled forward and I paused. It was that bird creature from before not only that but she was still speaking Akashimian...come to think of it…

<”How do you articulate other languages with yanno…”> I wasn’t sure how to say it politely, so I just up and said it. Better than trying to beat around the bushes right? <”A beak? Like...no lips? Is that magic? Or are you just super talented?”>

Unsteadily Stare stumbled to her feet, using a hand to steady herself. Only partly was she looking at Eteri, a grumble in her throat. She took time to answer the questions - ones about her physical appearance, everyone was so interested in that all the time.

<”I have a throat still. Have beak, no lips. Every kenku can speak a few languages.”> She shifted fully upright and looked right at the catgirl. <”Akashiman, kenku and common. We are taught. We just speak.”> She shrugged.

I blinked, so they could all speak three languages? Here I was struggling with two. <”See! That’s why I don’t trust birds. They’re too smart!”> I huffed as I stood up and dusted myself off. <”Always planning...speaking all sorts of languages...gah….”>

I turned my attention back to the street...so I had gone left, then left,then left…. Oh… no wonder I ended up in a circle. I think Barchies shop was left left right? Or was it right, right left. I gave a frustrated grumble as I stretched. Maybe it’d just be better if I climbed a random building and took a nap...that’d help rejuvenate me.

The giant bird next to me….what did she call herself? Kenkoo? Made a noise as to clear her throat, and to gain my attention.

<”I had planned to ask you before, but you ran off. Don’t you think you should get that looked at?”> She pointed to my chest with a protruded leathery appendage I could only assume was her species version of a finger.

<”Eh?”> I glanced down at my chest. Was she talking about that thing I took from Madison? <”Maybe. Right now it’s not too much of a bother. Just keeps me up at night sometimes. I’ll eventually get it looked at, but I really don’t want to go back home to do that. I’d rather let it sort itself out. Maybe it just needs a nice warm place for a while.”> I said with a toothy grin. I knew that wasn’t how souls worked, but I thought it was a pretty funny joke. And...avoiding my home town was at the top of my list of priorities, aside from eating and sleeping. Yeh...life was pretty easy right now.

<”Well. I’m going to go…”> I paused, trying to figure out which direction I should turn. <”That way now.”> I pointed down a street I had yet to wander down. Best case scenario, I’d find Barchie’s store, worst case - I’d find new things. So, win/win to me.