A few hours had passed before Scarlet finally awoke. Groggy. She opened her eyes, they stung..but she could see. She could see the snow packed tightly around the two, she could see the dirt and blood that had splattered the snow. She could feel Hunter underneath her, he had insisted she stay there and after days of torment and pain she had relented and allowed herself the sleep she so desperately needed. “I’m awake..” Scarlet said as she lifted her head up.

“Hunter?”

He shifted, and blinked. Silver eyes glinted softly as he blinked again and looked around, and she could see him mentally processing the situation.

Scarlet shifted and pulled herself up and out of his lap. “It’s dangerous here.” She had slept through most the day and night was coming up along the horizon. “We will die if we stay here, and there will be no healing, no revival, no nothing from either of us if those soul sucking beasts get to us.”

She turned her gaze to Hunter who was rubbing his eyes. Was he tired too? Not surprising. “We’ll get sleep when we get to a town. I’m still...groggy myself but we need to move now.”

“Right.” He shoved himself to his feet. “Right. OK. Have you recovered enough to move on your own - or do you still have trouble seeing?” There was no judgment or recrimination in his words, just curiosity.

“I can see.” Scarlet said as she stared at him. “I can see your silver eyes, I can see how disheveled your hair is. I can see-” She paused as she pointed to the stone creeping up under his sleeve. “I can see that - that we will talk about later, and I can see our time is short.”

His head tilted and he picked up his hat and froze when she pointed at his arm. Then he rolled his sleeve down hurriedly, grimacing, and set his hat on his head, covering up the mess of hair. “Right. Right. Lead the way dawn girl. You know Salvar far better than I.”

Scarlet turned and winced as she trudged, barefoot in the ankle deep snow. It appeared that he resilience to the cold was beginning to fade. Not surprising. She was weak. They quickly made their way to a main path through the forest. “I slept surprisingly well, considering the snow and ice.” Scarlet mused.

“You - were rather comfortable, I hope.” His voice was soft.

“Ah.” Scarlet stopped him as she pointed to a horse and carriage travelling toward them. Ignoring the question.jn “Do me a favour and hail them down. I’m not exactly a looker right now.” Hunter nodded and waved down the cart.

A brown horse slowed to a stop as the man atop the cart peered suspiciously at the two. A drow and a half naked girl. “Can I help you?” The man asked. He was well into his forties and wore a thick rimmed pair of glasses. He was not a fighter and looked to be some sort of shop keeper.

Scarlet stepped in front of Hunter. “P-please sir…” Her voice fell into a timid tone as she feigned fear. “A-a group of bandits they...they…” she hiccuped as she covered her face. “They stole my husband and I’s carriage they..they tried to….” She hiccuped again.

“I stopped them from - that. But they - made off with the rest of our belongings.” Hunter’s voice was tense. Frustrated.

The man relaxed his tense body seeing the crying and unarmed girl. “Get in the back. If you try anything I’ll hand you over to the authorities.” Scarlet nodded and bowed her head, “T-t-thank you..thank you so much…” She turned and climbed onto the back of the cart with Hunter. Breathing a sigh of relief. She didn’t think they would have made it out of the forest. The beasts generally left her well enough alone, her soul was a deterrent for them, but her bleeding and with Hunter in tow? They’d make quick work of the both of them.

Sitting in the back, the Huntsman curled his arm around her shoulders and pulled her against his side - the picture of a husband comforting his wife. Scarlet played into it, sobbing lightly into the crook of his neck. No tears came, just stiffled noises.

The shopkeeper turned to glance over his shoulder at the two. “Name’s Ainsley, I see you’re from Alerar but the girls got a Slavic accent. How did you two meet?”

“I left Alerar for work, got hired on by a shipping company. Worked with them a few years before they got bought out by a racist bastard, who gave me the boot. Dawn here took pity on me and helped me get back on my feet, and I haven't wanted to leave since.” Hunter’s voice was smooth and calm, tinged with sorrow that became confidence as he spoke of her.

Scarlet shot him a look. It wasn’t a story she would have gone with, but it suited well. She kept mostly quiet as the man...as Ainsley continued to ask them questions about their supposed lie together. Apparently they had been married for two years, coming up to their second anniversary. They had a kid on the way, and wanted to take one last journey before settling down. Scarlet was a seamstress, which she found amusing - Hunter did not know that she was indeed quite the seamstress. And used to make dresses for nobles, another funny thing - he wasn’t aware she was a noble.

As they neared the town and were about to part ways Aislyn gave the two a nod. “Was worried at first. Was going to take the both of you to the authorities, but aye. It’s clear you both have good hearts and care about each other. Miss, if you ever need work and choose to settle down here - my shop is over there.” He pointed to a dark general store. “It’d be nice to sell some dresses, get more of the ladies in.”

Scarlet nodded and pulled on Hunter. They gave the man a final wave before he left and the two were headed toward the nearest inn. “Some story you have going on there.” Scarlet mused. “Did you know I actually can sew?”

He blinked, silver eyes flickering to her. He seemed - thoughtful. “No - but I can see that. It would suit you.” There was an odd note to his voice - not quite contentment, but close.

“Suit me?” Scarlet scoffed, “Sweetheart...the only thing that suits me is blood and death.” She added in a mildly mock tone. “Now, let’s get something to eat. Raw meat isn’t exactly….my preference.”

He laughed, a dark, rolling sound, and shook his head. “I wouldn't say the only things, but yes, those do suit you quite well.

The place was familiar...it had been the same town they had gone to before. The place where Hunter had accepted the bounty on the direwolves and the place where the two had first met and shared a drink. So the inn they entered was a familiar scene. Few people dotted around the place and a familiar youth staring them, especially scarlet down as they entered. The usual booth at the back was full so both Hunter and Scarlet had to find a table that was more central and exposed. Scarlet didn’t like this.

Hunter turned his head, and gave the boy a hard, silver glare. Warning him. Then he turned his gaze to Scarlet as she spoke.

“I feel exposed here, could get attacked from any side.”

“Right. I'm not keen on this either. Let's get a room.” He curled his arm around her, protectively. It seemed he wasn't about to let her stay too far from his side, even if he knew she could fight well herself.

Scarlet nodded. It was a good idea. They’d take their food to the room and eat. She headed to the counter and ordered two plates of venison and a room. When the man expected her to pay she turned to Hunter. “Honey… the bandits took everything I had - do you have anything?”

White eyebrows rose for a moment - as if realizing that. Then he nodded, and stepped forward, reaching into his own coat and pulling a small back of coins out from an inner pocket. He counted out what the innkeeper had asked for as he shook his head. “You'll want to warn people against traveling the main road here - they made off with most of our belongings. Hopefully they take off after one attack, or the night dwellers get them - but better safe than sorry.” He said as he handed the money over. The man shrugged.

“Further North is Crimson Hand territory. You’re either tourists or stupid to not know that. Your meals will be delivered shortly.” He handed Hunter the key and the two headed up to the room.

Finally in the room; which was subpar at best. It had a single bed with a single scratchy blanket which would have barely protected against the could. A window with no curtains rattled from the harsh weather outside. A single oil lamp dimly lit the room from the bedside table. Scarlet didn’t want to venture to the adjacent bathroom. Not wanting to know what unkempt condition that was in. “Well. some honeymoon this is.” she muttered bitterly. Despite her harsh words, it was meant to be a joke.

“Next year I'll take you somewhere nicer. Maybe Tular. I hear the demons are fun to kill.” He drawled back as he locked the door firmly behind him, and thumped the chair against it. It was only when it was secure that he finally relaxed, his shoulders losing a bit of tension.

“Fuck me…” Scarlet muttered as she turned back to the bed and pulled the blanket off to wrap her feet in then sat herself on the bed. “At this rate I feel I should just wander around fuckin completely naked.”

“And I feel like I should just always keep a change or two of clothes with me for you.” He leaned against the wall, silver eyes focused on her.

She snorted and crossed her legs. “Your eyes say otherwise Hunter.” He blinked.

“Well. I suppose we can chalk that up to possessiveness.” He shrugged. “Or, I'm trying to keep you healthy.”

“Oddly sweet of you.” Scarlet mused as she rubbed her feet together to generate warmth. “I suppose that’s what a fisherman husband is supposed to do, no?”