Esther felt conflicted. She had worked with 71 on multiple occasions. They had even been forced to copulate to further manifest their ‘bond' he had been rough but Esther came to expect that from the man. It was an order so she obliged. There were no real feelings between the two beyond that of an order. Now he was fighting Ron. someone she had some sort of attachment to. Someone she felt she wanted to protect.There was a connection to Ron. One that was far stronger than her forced connection to 71. Esther was meant to support the fighter class. But she had been locked out of her own mind. There was no way to support or aid either one of them. Her mind had heard the order and without her will, obeyed.

She was frustrated by those orders; there were series of them, number and letters; all who once were shouted at her she’d have to enact upon them. Mental conditioning, serums and unholy experimentation all made it so she could not escape those orders.

There was a clatter against the hard concrete floor which broke Esthers train of thought. She squinted at the two as they fought in the harsh afternoon sunlight. The few chairs that were around the table had been scattered across the room. The floor was soaked and splashes of crimson marked the otherwise bare, white walls.

A sword looked as though it was about to knock out Ron, and slice right through him. Esther stood on shaky feet and called out to him. Or tried to. No words left her lips.

The blade slammed into Ronnel, and hung up, the silver haired man crumpling over it. Blood leaked down his frame, falling towards the ground. She felt something inside of her burn. She was failing. Ron was the one she needed to protect and he was dying, if not already dead.

There was a soft, distorted voice, speaking so low she couldn’t hear. Ronnel coughed up blood, and it splattered against 71’s chest. “What was that, little man?” 71 sounded amused. Confident. Like he had already won. “You’re sorry that you can’t save that stupid little girl? Let me tell you - she’s a dead fish anyway, not worth the time it takes to lay between her legs.” Ronnel’s head snapped up, and even from here, Esther could see that they weren’t glazing over in death. Then there was the oddest, cracking sound, like metal groaning and buckling.

She took a shaky step toward the two. She would assist him. She would. Esther stopped as his voice boomed.

”I said, YOU WON’T TAKE THE SKY FROM MY STAR! Ronnel bellowed, the voice distorted, inhuman. That odd, echoing sound like wind howling to match the words. 71 started to laugh at the defiance - until that odd, metal sound happened again. The large man’s eyes seemed to realize something was wrong, very wrong - because Ronnel had straightened up, and while he had a gash on his chest and stomach, it was not the deep, deep deathblow it should have been.

Now revealed was the fact that Ronnel’s left arm had extended, almost snakelike, and had wrapped around 71’s sword. Edges of his arm, which was curiously flat, had sunk into the metal - and there were cracks appearing across the surface of the blade. With a wordless cry, Ronnel ripped his arm back - and the greatsword shattered, flying apart in a spray of metal.

Esther shielded her face from the flying strapmel and it bounced off of her leather jacket sleeves with ease. “R-ron?” Her voice croaked with concern. He - didn’t look at her. Because he was staring at the chunk of sword that was buried in his thigh. He let out a weak chuckle - then his arm lashed out, slicing through 71’s neck. The man’s head, mouth gaping in surprise, flew upwards, then landed with a wet smack on the ground. Ronnel gripped the metal in his leg - but didn’t pull it out. He gave her a weak smile - one that steadied up.

“We - should leave. Before they get another of their pet Experiments out here.” Then, with a gasp, he ripped the metal out, and his form flickered, becoming real. The wound that had been serious was - lesser, but still bloody. It looked painful. He ignored it, and stepped to her. “Come on, my star.” His voice was a bit strained, but he scooped her up into his arms. This time, cradling her in his arms against his chest, not carrying her on his back.

Esther nodded and pressed her head to his chest. She couldn’t communicate with him through words but she could show him her appreciation through touch.

Esther lifted her head and pointed to the coat. Trying to signal there was more in there. She had felt it when she pressed against him. It felt like piles of paper on the inside the coat.

He shook his head. “Later my star. First let us get out.” He carried her past the table and winced as he pressed their weight against the door. Esther braced herself as the heat of the sun hit her back full force. She groaned and wrapped her arms tighter around Ronnel. As he ran.

She wasn't sure how far nor how long they had travelled. She was hot and sweaty and wanted nothing more than to curl into a ball and sleep.

‘I am tired. I need rest.’

“It's good to hear you again. Even if it's in my head.” He held her tighter. “There's a few houses up ahead. Let's head there, the nights are ferociously cold.”

Esther nodded. Then - she felt cooler, not a lot, but at least a few degrees chiller. They reaches the edge of the tiny hamlet soon after - and found that it was mostly empty. In fact - animals were the only denizens, there was no sign of human inhabitants. A ghost town, swallowed by the desert sands.

Ronnel kicked in the door to one of the buildings, shoving through the sand that tried to keep it shut. He carried her carefully inside, and soon found a bed. It had seen better days - but it was still serviceable. He settled her down on top of it, then brushed his fingers against her face delicately.

“Alright my star. I'll be back shortly - I need to make sure our tracks are obscured.” He vanished, moving swiftly back out of the bedroom, leaving her - mostly alone. His voice echoed into her mind. ’We- we are free, my star. From what I know, none of the other Experiments are skilled trackers. I stirred the sands behind us as we left, so they should be lost as to where we went.’

Soon enough he came back, and he hesitated before dragging a chair near the bed he had placed her on. He looked between chair and bed a few times, obviously indecisive.

’Please join me. It will be cold we need to stay together. Oh…’ Esther reached into her jacket and pulled out a yellowed file, handing it to him. ’ We can burn this and use it for warmth..the woman who had this was terminally ill, and she bore another life inside of her.’