The exit.

Words Esther never thought she’d hear. She had been shipped off to places before - but she had always been sedated. Always had her vision blocked unless fighting. Unless using her powers to injure those around her in brutal and twisted ways that left no scars on the body.

’It is bright...it hurts my eyes’ Esther mumbled into Ronnel’s mind as she pressed her face against his back. I do not remember the last time I was able to see such bright things

“Don’t worry Esther, I’ll make sure you’re comfortable and clothed. I won’t let anything happen to you anymore.”

Esther shifted her body, her joints hurt and the manacles around her swollen wrists and ankles bit into her skin with every bump against her body. Clothes...such a strange concept. Esther nodded into his back, silvery hair rubbing against the skin of his neck. ’I might need something to shield my eyes. I get headaches and hear things if I keep them open too long.’

He paused. “Alright, dear. I can find us something to use as a bandana for you.” He was calmer. Softer.

A small mumble came from her lips, an incoherent yet content noise as she clung tightly to Ronnel’s form. He twisted left then right up a flight of stairs - then Esther winced as a bright light hit them both.

They entered what looked like a small preparation room. There were lockers with names on them dotted along the far wall. Benches to sit on, a table littered with fruits and nuts. It was the first entry point before the cells and laboratories below. Esther shuffled and Ronnel let her slide off his back. Along one wall was a set of windows, covered in thick bars. A bright light was filtering through it.

Her feet didn’t touch the ground. They hovered single foot above it. The broken chain scraped against the concrete floor as it was dragged across it. This was a normal sensation for Esther. She didn’t pay it any mind as she drew her hands to cover her eyes. ’What is this? What is that heat?’

Ronnel had moved to the lockers - and began smashing his fist into them, cracking them open and rummaging through them. He found a black shirt in one - which he promptly tore one sleeve off of. He was pulling the rest of the shirt on when she spoke into his mind, and he had turned his red eyes in her direction, checking what she was talking about. “Esther?” He was slowly walking towards her now, and ripping the fabric in his hands up so he could - do something with it.

“Oh, my star.” His voice was soft. “That’s the sun. Here - let me tie this around your head.” His touch was soft, but his fingers swift as he brushed her hair back to let him tie the black fabric around her face, covering her eyes up.

’Be careful of the flow-’

“Ah.” The soft exclamation came from her lips, a small blush colouring the otherwise white hue of her cheeks. His hand had gently grazed her petals and it felt...odd. Esther reached up to her face and lifted the headband so it was on an angle. Revealing a single blue eye she peered up at him curiously. Ronnel had an odd expression on his face, as his fingers delicately brushed one petal of the flower.

’W-what do you think you’re doing. That feels really strange. It…. Esther shuffled her body and reached up to wrap shaky fingers around his wrist.

“I- Sorry, my star. I - that was…” He gulped, and his pale skin went to a red hue. ’That sound you made was beautiful.’ He looked away abruptly. “I - we should… get you a coat then get out of here. I’m sure one of these lockers has one.”

Esther had heard the words in her head. She found it odd that he hadn’t said them out loud. ’Beautiful? That sound?’ She reached up to let her fingers graze against the petals. The sun felt pleasant on them. A warmth that trickled down her spine and to her toes. ’If you want...you can touch it again but- not now. Now our main objective is to leave. Correct?’

Ronnel’s eyes had gone wide. “I - oh dear. Uhm.” He cleared his throat. “Yes. We need to get out of here. Now. We can - live, once we are free.” ’Live together, I hope.’ He was moving away - another unintentional thought, sent to her? He was moving through the lockers again, searching them for a coat. When he finally found one - he paused, his eyes wide, staring at it. His fingers brushed against it. The locker it was in looked dusty, like it hadn’t been opened in years. ’Mom?’ He blinked, closed his eyes - then snatched the coat and carried it to Esther.

“This one should fit you.” His voice was rough.

Esther pulled the coat over her bare shoulders. It was a little long at the end. Its back dragged against the very ground she was still hovering above. Not thinking about anything Esther picked up the coat and shifted - floating over toward the table and picked up a small knife. She began to tear through the bottom of the coat with it. ’This will fit once I have torn the bottom off. Thank you. We can live together if you like.’ She turned to look up at him, still tearing through the coat. ’What is a mom?’ The word sounded familiar but she couldn’t place it. Esther finished tearing off the bottom of the coat and dropped the bottom of it onto the table.

Her one visible eye stung as it got used to the light. She groaned as she rubbed it. ’This is detrimental to me operating effectively.

“No one, now.” His voice was hard, and a bit sad. “Sh- a mother, or mom, is the woman who gives birth to someone. It - doesn’t matter for now. We need to leave before they figure out where we are.”

Esther nodded and pressed forward, her feet gliding above the floor till she reached him and climbed onto his back once more. ’I agree. Let us leave and as you said. Live together.’ Esther pressed her head into the crook of his neck and inhaled. She enjoyed the close proximity with him. She enjoyed his scent and his voice. ’I want that.’ It felt almost as though he were designed to be her perfect partner