“I will make sure no one lays a finger on you...ever again.”

Those words shook her, they tugged at her heart, piercing it with pained daggers. How could she possibly believe those words? After all she had been through. Amari thought she were stronger, she thought she could stand tall and proud on her own, and yet… and yet…

Her lips trembled and goosebumps formed on her skin. The icy air from outside did not leech through the windows but she still felt it, his kind words sapped any strength she had and froze her. Amari could barely react to them. She wanted to scream and shout at him but whatever heated words she had for the man before her evaporated before they had a chance to manifest.

Then, his next words, another attack -

I've come back for you.

How long did she have to wait to hear those words? How many nights waiting at the pier for him to return, worn from his missions to only be met with a half grin and a empty pat on her head? How many nights did she spend waiting alone in the rain with tearful eyes watching the stormy seas afraid he’d never return?

Amari faltered as she stepped toward him, finally finding her voice, small and shaking, “Y-You…”

Amari gripped the sides of his jacket with trembling hands, it was all she could do to keep herself together. “YOU!” She shouted as she gingerly shook him back and forth, her words warbled between the sobs that wracked her body. If her Master saw her now, he would be sorely disappointed. “You… “ She said again with less bite to her voice as it broke into a weak sob. Amari pressed her forehead to his torso. The fain scent of his drinking prior hung in the air, along with the wetness of rain, and the loamy scents of fresh earth. I was comforting.

“You gave me the happiest moments of my life...” She shook her head, “ but you took them away... I- I became stronger. I learnt to cut any ties I had with people….”

Amari pushed him away and wiped her tears with the back of her arm, smearing them across her face. “You want to know what I’ve been through?” She gave a bitter laugh as she struggled to straighten herself. “I’ve died! I’ve killed my brother, my father... I’ve plucked the eyes from all the men who defiled me! I’ve learnt that emotional ties are worthless and just a weakness, I grew stronger...I could hold my own and...and just like that you destroy me again! HOW?” She screamed at him in hurt tears, “WHY?” Her trembling hands wrapped around the centre of her chest, twisting the black material of her shirt. “Why do you make my chest hurt? WHY?”

Shinsou took a step forward and Amari took a step back. “S-STAY AWAY!” She shouted but her words fell upon deaf ears. “Amari… “ His tone was exasperated and concerned, filled with an emotion Amari couldn’t even begin to fathom as he quickly broached the gap between them.

Amari took another two steps back till the back of her foot hit the bed and she tumbled backward onto the gray cotton covers. Shinsou approached her and leaned over her, Amari grabbed his arms in a bid to push him away. His skin seared at the mild burning sensations but the pain didn’t stop his advance. Amari.” His voice held a concerned sternness to it. Which caused Amari’s struggles to cease. The angry red light from her hands dimmered and dissipated in wisps of crackling smoke. Amari didn’t truly want to hurt him.

There she lay, a visage of spilled scarlet amidst a dreary grey. Her eyes in all their green and gold and red splattered splendor stared up at the man that managed to sink deep into her being with nothing more than his presence. Questioning his reasons, his answers and his motives.

Shinsou gently pressed her wrists into the bed as he lowered himself over her, pressing his lips fast to hers.

In that instant her world ceased to exist, the pain of heartache, her tears, her time within the Crimson Hand… it all seemed to swirl into an incomprehensible mess of faded memories. It was replaced with the rush of warmth that came with the innocent kiss. Amari didn’t realise how she had longed for this moment nor how much it’d affect her. A small whimper escaped from her lips as she drew in a sharp breath, afraid to move as though the slightest shift would shatter the delicate moment.

There was silence between the two, and not even the howling wind and rattling windows could destroy the tender moment, nor penetrate the warmth that his action bought. Finally, after what seemed like hours, but was only seconds Amari spoke. “I wanna know…” There was a pause and the electricity in the air ceased as though knowing the weight of her words. “Do you.. love me?”

Another pause.

“I love you.”