"Get up," Breaker whispered to the groveling swordsman. He grasped the fellow's collar and hauled him to his feet. "I admire your sense of duty," he continued in a hushed tone, "but now is not the time to be claiming responsibility, unless you want to be the next corpse in the street." Breaker straightened the man's collar and clapped him on the shoulder in a friendly manner as a middle-aged man approached.

"Caught one of them, have you Breaker?" The man said, the bald top of his head shining above a ring of salt and pepper hair. A ruddy shading enlivened his cheeks. He seemed ready to run and fetch a pitchfork.

"No no, no Gregor," Josh said. He put one arm around the amber eyed swordsman and the other around the middle of the large farmer's back. "This is... Charles. One of my students.

The farmer's brow furrowed, as did the top of his head.

"He don't exactly look like one of your students," Gregor said.

"That's because he's in an advanced program," Josh explained, lighting on an idea, "he tried to stop the attack on the village. Unfortunately, he was just a moment too late." Josh surveyed the sullen swordsman. "Look at how disappointed in himself he is," he pointed out.

"Er, right." Gregor said, taking a step away. "Thank you both for trying I suppose."

"In fact, we're going to seek retribution for this attack. But Charles here will need a horse," Breaker said. He clapped the swordsman on the back and squinted as if thinking. "Now, who around here has the swiftest horses-"

"I do!" Gregor interrupted. "I suppose you could borrow one of my mares. But what if I never see her again?"

"If anything happens to your horse," Breaker promised, "I'll compensate you at twice her market value." He smiled as Gregor hurried away.

"So you'll help me avenge my friends?" Whispered the amber-eyed swordsman. He clenched the pommel of his silver blade.

"I'll track down Myra with you," Josh amended, "I have no intention of killing anything, but I am concerned for that little Fae Myra grabbed." His eyes wandered as he looked back on that moment. At first he'd thought the Fae was a part of Myra's party. This lively one comes with me. Her words echoed in his mind. I should have stopped her the moment she said that. But she'd been leaving, and peacefully...

"You think you'll get anything from a Lore Guardian without a fight?" The swordsman demanded, shaking his head.

"She backed down once," Breaker recalled, "it's likely she will again, if confronted the right way."

"So what do you need me for?" The young man asked, eyes falling to the forms of his friends.

"Bait. I mean, a distraction," the demigod grinned as Gregor returned leading a dappled white mare. The long legged horse nearly blended in with the snowy backdrop. She whinnied as the farmer passed the swordsman the reigns, and shook out her long mane.

"Her name's Dandelion," Gregor explained, "she's just been fed and saddled so she should be lively till around dark. You will have her back before dark, right?" He asked, a worried frown creasing his ruddy face.

"Of course we will," Breaker assured him, "thank you Gregor." The farmer nodded and trudged away.

"Why do I need a horse if you don't have one?" The swordsman demanded.

"So you can keep up," Breaker replied, "come on now, we're wasting daylight." He crossed his arms while the swordsman sheathed his weapon, picked up his fallen comrade's crossbow, and hauled himself into the saddle. He wheeled Dandelion about, showing a comfortable familiarity astride the mare. Good, Breaker thought, he knows how to ride.

"What's your name?" Josh asked as the swordsman settled himself in the saddle, "I can't keep calling you 'Charles'."

"Azaranth Ubissad," came the answer, "but you may call me Anubis."

"Fair play," Josh commented, "my name is Joshua Cronen, but you may call me Breaker." He didn't wait to see if Azaranth recognized his name. Instead he took off like an arrow from a bow, following the clear prints left in the snow by Myra and her brethren.