Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,500

GP

Name
    Kalestiya Brightheart
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Seraphina ventured through the winding alleyways, with Kalestiya following close behind. The young girl's mind was still plagued with doubt, she felt as though she was doing something criminal, yet her sense of duty and Seraphina's determination were enough for her to carry on with the endeavor. As they approached the city wall, Seraphina subtly directed them towards a concealed part of the fortification. There, the woman let out a soft but distinct whistle, and to Kalestiya's surprise, a figure above dropped a rope ladder. The ladder gently swayed before them. Seraphina shot a knowing smile at Kalestiya, urging her to climb the ladder first.

With trepidation, Kalestiya gripped the rope ladder and began ascending, her heart pounding with each rung she climbed. Seraphina followed close behind, her movements fluid and confident. Once on the city wall, they found themselves concealed by the night's darkness and the wide parapet. From this vantage point, the city sprawled before them like a slumbering giant, its streets illuminated by distant lanterns and torches. Adrenalin coursed through Kalestiya's veins. Even though things didn't feel right, she appreciated the awe inspiring view, and for a moment, it all seemed like an exciting adventure.

Seraphina glanced around cautiously and quickly assessed their surroundings before decisively unhooking the rope ladder. With a practiced motion, she lowered it down to the other side of the wall, where it dangled precariously. Before descending down the ladder, Kalestiya took a deep breath as if to consider her actions one final time. She closed her eyes, exhaled steadily, gave a quick nod to reassure herself, and then slowly proceeded to climb down the rope ladder. Once her feet touched the ground on the other side, Seraphina followed suit, her graceful descent a testament to her experience in navigating such challenges. Kalestiya quickly realized that Seraphina must have done this on many occasions.

Whistling once more, the rope ladder was pulled up by a shadowy figure on top of the wall. "Who was that?" Kalestiya asked, peering into the darkness above. "I saw no one when were at the top of the wall." Seraphina flashed a cryptic smile, her eyes gleaming with intrigue. "No need to concern yourself with that, my dear," she replied, "some things are best left to mystery, and not all answers are meant to be revealed."
    Kalestiya hesitated for a moment, but she respected Seraphina's desire for secrecy. "Oh- okay..."

"All that is important is that we get to our destination, do you understand?" the woman continued, her tone firm.
    "Y-yes, of course," Kalestiya replied, nodding fervently. Even though a lot of aspects of their journey were veiled in uncertainty, she still chose to trust Seraphina's judgment.

In the shadows of the city outskirts, they made their way through the quiet fields, the dim moonlit paths guiding their steps. A short walk brought them to a dense forest on the outskirts of the capital, where towering trees loomed overhead. "We should be free to move without scrutiny now," Seraphina said in a hushed voice, "beyond this point. we can venture onward as we please."
    Kalestiya felt a profound sense of relief and gratitude. The fact that they had successfully slipped away from the city without raising any alarms left her astounded. It solidified her trust in Seraphina's capabilities and ignited a growing curiosity about the enigmatic woman she has promised to aid.

The duo pressed on, the forest growing more treacherous with each step. Thick underbrush and steep hills made progress slow and difficult, and the moonlight cast eerie shadows that danced around them. Kalestiya was no stranger to navigating forests, but this one was particularly daunting. The trees were taller and more tightly packed than she was used to, and the undergrowth was so thick that it was often impossible to see more than a few feet ahead. The hills were also steeper, and Kalestiya found herself struggling to keep her footing on the loose, uneven ground.

"Isn't there an easier path to your home?" Kalestiya panted, her breaths labored from the effort of navigating the difficult terrain. She wondered why Seraphina had chosen this perilous route. Holding on to a small tree, Kalestiya took a moment to catch her breath. Seraphina walked a few steps back and extended her hand to Kalestiya. "I apologize for the challenging path we've taken. The truth is, this is actually the fastest route. If we had taken the path around, it would take us 10 times as long to arrive," she explained. Kalestiya nodded, appreciating the explanation. "I understand. We would not want to take longer than necessary, given the urgency of our endeavor."
    "Indeed," Seraphina replied, "the path may be difficult, but it also ensures that only those with true determination can reach my home in time."

After a brief respite, the duo continued their journey. The forest eventually opened up into a clearing, and in the distance, atop a hill, there was the silhouette of a large mansion. Seraphina pointed, "do you see that, Kalestiya? That is my home. We are almost there."
    "Oh, yes... I see it," Kalestiya huffed, feeling tired and beads of sweat forming on her forehead, "Any more climbing and I could faint," she admitted with a sheepish smile, exhaustion evident in her voice. Her legs felt like lead but the sight of Seraphina's home provided a renewed determination to push forward.
    Last edited by Kalestiya; 08-02-2023 at 07:11 PM.