GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile

What do YOU want?

Hey everyone!

From time to time I like to post suggestion threads. In fact, there's one stickied somewhere in this forum. Since I've been a little aloof lately, at least with respect to Althanas, in lieu of a suggestion thread I'd prefer to have a straight dialouge with you guys to start 2018 off right. So, I want to know your concerns, questions, suggestions, etc. No topic is off limits, though I'd like it to remain Althanas related. I'll give you a response when I can, and with your public input, I'll be able to prioritize my work on Althanas. Someone told me that a good leader can't operate in the shadows. So here I am. Have at me and lets make Althanas better together.

EXP: 7,350, Level: 3
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 1,650
    Level completed: 59%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,650

GP

Name
    Fil'ayn Kiljarden
    Race
    Drow
    I don't know if it's necessarily one thing I would want, but it's something I think might help draw newcomers to the site. I know we have Scara Brae/Stonevale as a kind of newbie area where they can get bonus exp for writing, but that's about as far as we go with introducing them. So my idea is this:

Have like an open thread area (maybe within Stonevale or maybe separate) where people can come to write short things with characters, to try to get a feel for writing in various styles, or with a character and their personality. Reduce or negate the word count thing in the posts done here, as it can be daunting at times if you're not sure of how a character would act, so you force the writing to come out even if you aren't really comfortable with it. Rewards might focus less on exp, maybe more on gp for these, or however you want to handle it.

So like, a beginner section, where they can come to play around with a character idea, maybe before committing to putting together a character sheet?
    Cruel and brutal are the blades for the Beast
    It's time to Carve and Clatter and Cleave.

A member of the NevCrew:
    Nevin: Thread count: please, don't try.
    Erik: Thread count: five or six. Maybe seven...
    Huntsman: seven. Maybe eight. Shhhhhhh.
    Telli' thread count: zero. I just can't get into writing the little hellion.

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
    I don't know if it's necessarily one thing I would want, but it's something I think might help draw newcomers to the site. I know we have Scara Brae/Stonevale as a kind of newbie area where they can get bonus exp for writing, but that's about as far as we go with introducing them. So my idea is this:

Have like an open thread area (maybe within Stonevale or maybe separate) where people can come to write short things with characters, to try to get a feel for writing in various styles, or with a character and their personality. Reduce or negate the word count thing in the posts done here, as it can be daunting at times if you're not sure of how a character would act, so you force the writing to come out even if you aren't really comfortable with it. Rewards might focus less on exp, maybe more on gp for these, or however you want to handle it.

So like, a beginner section, where they can come to play around with a character idea, maybe before committing to putting together a character sheet?
    This is a good idea. Philomel literally like yesterday sent me some information about a Stovevale revive. I'll make sure she sees this thread. I would like to point out that technically you could play around with character concepts in the Althanaverse right now and still gain some EXP/GP (albeit half) to use on Althanas proper when the character is ready to be registered.

EXP: 7,350, Level: 3
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 1,650
    Level completed: 59%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,650

GP

Name
    Fil'ayn Kiljarden
    Race
    Drow
    Mmm, you can, but at the same time that isn't really clear. I didn't know that until you said it and it clicked. The way it looks, you can play around with a max level version of a current character. Not with a non-approved character - but that's probably because I never actually opened up that forum to take a closer look.
    Cruel and brutal are the blades for the Beast
    It's time to Carve and Clatter and Cleave.

A member of the NevCrew:
    Nevin: Thread count: please, don't try.
    Erik: Thread count: five or six. Maybe seven...
    Huntsman: seven. Maybe eight. Shhhhhhh.
    Telli' thread count: zero. I just can't get into writing the little hellion.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    I have been pointed in this direction!

There is an idea forming on the Stonevale about such a thing, where you can be anyone, whoever you want to be. Thank you for the idea, Nevin, these comments will certainly be useful.
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    In the works for sure. Phi had a good idea for this exact reason. So keep the eyes peeled.

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    One of the ideas I always thought would make the site better is some sort of a newsfeed thing.

I personally believe (Always have believed this) that information and knowledge is power. We have to (On our own initiative) SEARCH for lore and stuff like that. That needs to change, I know of a few instances in the past where newbies didn't jump in right away cause they were still "reading the lore". One of the major things that needs to get implemented is the new wiki whenever that gets done and good oversight on that as well.

Insofar as newbies go, Nevin and Ailsa's ideas are a brilliant step in the right direction.

There is another suggestion I have which is to bring back the Mentorship program. Many of the other communities I am active on have said programs and they are successful. Mainly what I'm getting at is there needs to be MORE information and more easier ways to contact staff members (Not TROLLING or anything like that mind you) but to literally just contact like a dedicated set of threads for that purpose.

But yes to sum it up some sort a legitimate newsfeed would be good that gets updated VERY often. Also, more feedback from staff and other members in general would be brilliant as well. We need to make the site more exciting for newcomers and where we're doing pretty good I think a lot more can be done!!! That's the ideas I have so far I'll add more as I come up with it.

~Pav

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    A well meaning question deserves a well meaning answer. Without wanting this to sound like something you post on youtube before blowing your brains out, I have thoughts. For those who don't want to hear the rants of an old man, scroll on.

What I want is what is good for Althanas. What is good for Althanas depends entirely on everyone's outlook and circumstances, so here is my "wish list":

1. The absolute abolition of auto-scoring 65 for workshops

I don't mind admitting publicly that I was the one who raised concerns in the staff forum about this, I don't mind admitting that I am sick to death of seeing empty workshop threads in the Writer's Workshop section and I don't care how many people jump on my back about it. I am absolutely adamant that in its current format of a hybrid writing workshop and roleplay site, Althanas is bleeding quality.

"But Shin, that's elitist, you pig. We're here to write and have fun, who are you to judge what quality is?" I hear you all screaming at your monitors.

I know I've come across as elitist before, and to anyone this offended I sincerely apologise, but I realised I never really properly explained myself. This is the problem. To understand where I am coing from, you need to understand my definition of quality. I'm talking not about someone getting a 75 on a thread instead of a 65, or getting a perfect score in mechanics, or pumping a JC out of their ass every day. I'm talking about participation. I'm talking people not wanting the feedback, not having the drive to improve and not utilising the resources we have gone to great lengths to design and upkeep properly. I'm talking about people submitting threads for a 65 because they know the EXP is better than a no judgment. I'm talking about some of those people being the benficiaries of six threads worth of those bonuses because their partners pay the AP. I'm talking about important Althanas tournaments barely having any entrants because people are afraid of being judged, leaving only the "good writers" (another phrase that pisses me off because that is creating a stereotype in itself; if you don't try you never get). I'm talking about people who want to make invincible characters who are going to end up very, very bland and boring.

"What does any of that have to do with the auto-scoring, you knob?" I hear you reply.

It's simple - It's a mentality. If we take away the auto-scoring, not only does it stop obvious gaming of the system but it actually forces people to get some sort of feedback. Not just a pile of shit "good job, well done" backslapping or "this is shit" shredding, but helpful, constructive feedback to actually help people, if they want it. You will all be AMAZED at how much of a difference it makes to your writing and confidence to get some nice comments, to get a "hey, that was fucking cool". That's what this site BADLY needs; and you can take that from a guy who was here before it and will be here long after it. It needs positivity flowing in both directions.

I'm not blind - I know to some people Althanas is a game, and to others a creative writing site, and to others both. We all have different wants and means. But, Althanas has an identity for a reason; it is THE reason why it has stuck around for 16, nearly 17 years whilst competing against the rise of the gaming industry. That reason is it had quality ideas, quality writing, quality gaming, quality staff, a quality community. It had people willing to help with writing, to take risks with writing. If the current leadership is happy with activity, posts, active members - which they should be - then that's fine, but when the identity changes from that evergreen, famous hybrid writing workshop to "just another RPG / hentai fanfic site", the castle is going to crumble.

2. If number one is impossible, then this:

More workshop feedback.

Seriously, guys. If we ARE going to maintain the status quo, then let's make a solid effort to give the people who submit there with good intentions some actual feedback. Dirks has wanted for some time a policy whereby one member of staff is required to post at least one piece of feedback on each workshop, whoever it is. Let's do it, me included. I have no valid excuse (other than time, but who has that anyway) to not do it either.

GP

Name
    Little Red
    Race
    Red Back Junco

View Profile
    Maybe a "Training" area can be implemented. You know, a place where people can try out their abilities (Old & New) and get help when trying to describe the ability. They can also be told what is classified as power gaming and what is not. Have a few "Trainers" be set aside specifically for the training area. It is all up to the trainee on what they want.

Example 1: Little Red
    Little Red's abilities and skills are straight forward so I don't need to know how to describe them, but I need to know how to not have it classified as power gaming, any Trainer willing to help me out?

Example 2: Kitsune
    I want to try out a few ways on how Aoimoku's transformation ability works. Anyone willing to help me with this? I also want to have a spar with somebody.

Example 3: Hydra
    Hydragon has an ability that is continuously active, would someone like to work with me on making sure that I let the trail be noticed when but not constantly refer to it?

Example 4: Child Detective
    Need help with writing mystery stories with Sylvester. anyone want to help walk me through it?

Each person has a different request but they don't have a place for it, sure there is the Role Player's corner, but they can get lost in there. we need a place specifically for these types of requests.

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Chris-

Just a point I want to make. You bring up some valid ideas and suggestions but end of the day you cannot FORCE someone to participate which is what I am getting out of your suggestions. I am someone who firmly believes in choice and free will if someone wants to participate in a workshop, for example, they should be ALLOWED to participate on their own NOT FORCED TO participate. I personally was not comfortable (And I'm still not comfortable) with the whole AP system. At least the way it is currently MAINLY gotten is through participation in the workshop system and certain site events/etc. I didn't like the idea of something forced on us which is the way it basically worked out.

I personally understand your concerns about site activity in certain regards but we don't NEED to start forcing people to do x, y, z. I read your entire talking points and I am concerned about some of the suggestions. However, it is not my place to say aye or naye about it here. Ultimately it's up to Tony and other folks to implement those changes or not. But yeah I digress. End of the day freedom of choice is where it should be, not forced participation. I think we're treading a dangerous line right there if people are gonna have to be FORCED to participate. Anyway that's how I feel about it. Either way keep up the good work suggesting things everyone!