Thread: (Bandit Brotherhood) Journey for a Purpose.

EXP: 590, Level: 1
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next level: 1,410
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,410
    GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile

(Bandit Brotherhood) Journey for a Purpose.

(SOLO!)

He'd received word a few days prior.

The enigmatic faction simply calling itself The Bandit Brotherhood, had accepted Elthas Belthasar as a member. Elthas had history in Ruild, and that history made him an ideal member. It was the very reason that his leaders in The Syndicate, had called the meeting. Elthas was in the meeting hall with Seth Terrentius and Theo Terrentius. The meeting had been gong on for hours, it was a briefing session. Elthas listened carefully to the mission proposal, understanding what it all meant for him and his superior officers. Positioned around the long black table, Elthas sat on the opposite side of Seth and Theo, Elthas was looking at the classified documents placed before on the table. At the same time, there was a simple chalice set by his side with a juice from a local fruit Elthas enjoyed.

"So that's what we know so far." Seth said carefully and looked towards Elthas for a long moment.

"You wanted an inside man, you got one." Elthas said in response. "I'll keep tabs for you, but I'm not going to place either myself, or The Bandit Brotherhood in danger." Elthas was looking at the documents before. One name kept popping up: Yari Rafanas. A Hero from an older time of Althanas, when such things mattered. "Listen. I don't know what you're getting at here, but that guy, Yari, has not been seen in years. Why now?" Elthas rephrased the question. "Why restart The Bandit Brotherhood now?"

"That's what we're getting at, Elthas." Theo Terrentius responded. "It doesn't make sense. They are establishing a foothold right at our doorstep in Ruild." Theo smoked tobacco herb out of a wooden pipe. The smell bothered some, but it didn't bother Elthas.

Elthas's expression was one of deep thought he was reading the files. Logan, Yari, and the other leaders of The Bandit Brotherhood. "Seems they are living in the past." Elthas knew, from his studies of history, The Bandit Brotherhood had it's position center stage a long time ago. Many years ago, another lifetime ago it seemed to Elthas. "Look, if it benefits us, I will become an active member and a liaison between our two groups." Elthas was studying the file on Logan McCloud. "He's one of them psionics." Elthas frowned with visible discomfort. "He's inviting Adventurers to join his cause, but at the same time he's a fucking psionic." Elthas knew what they were from his education back home. Psionics were a group of humanoids who had an evolved brain, and were capable of tremendous works of the mind. The thought of having the leader of The Bandit Brotherhood in his head disturbed him. "How do we know he's not in with The Rangers, or The Empire?"

"Valid point." Theo said. "We don't." Theo seemed at a loss, a position that Elthas rarely saw him in. "We need you to go in and gather info for us, but get out if things get bad, understand? This isn't a death or glory mission."

Elthas knew what they wanted. What they were offer, they couldn't trust the task with just any operative. They have no idea what is going on with them and are placing me at tremendous risk...I have to be on my guard at all times. "So, let me get this straight." Elthas began. "You want me to go in, gather intel, and keep tabs on Logan McCloud."

"Watch all of his movements." Theo acknowledged. "If worse case scenario comes to pass, we'll pull the plug on Logan's plans ourselves."

"What if he really is just trying to relive the glory days?" Elthas had to wonder. What are you really after Logan McCloud? Elthas was staring at the known photographical data the powerful psionic. "He can read minds, our thoughts, our intentions. I won't be able to guard my intentions from him...how do you propose we deal with that?"

Seth smiled. "You will tell him directly from your first meeting with him your intentions. And earn his trust in that fashion." Seth continued. "My boy, this is a delicate matter. If Logan McCloud shall pose a threat to us we must be ready at all times."

It wasn't a bad plan. "So just tell him straight out I got an eye on him?" It didn't seem like such a foolhardy idea. He shook his head. "I don't like this. He can read my thoughts, what if he catches a glimpse of some of our plans?"

"We have thought of that." Theo said. "There is very little that can actively be done. But, I have thought of one thing." Theo pointed to one of the files on the table. "An act of good will." Theo said.

"Wait, that's Project: Lazarus!" Elthas sighed. "So you're saying I show up at Logan's doorstep with our guild's most carefully guarded secret in tow?" Elthas laughed.

"Elthas." Theo said. "This is now beyond us, beyond petty concerns. If we are being forced to deal with Logan McCloud, we must appear as allies." Theo continued. "This is the gamble of all gambles. I have been cleared by all The Syndicate's leaders and they back me on this. Logan may be able to give us the key ingredients we need to complete Project: Lazarus." Theo said.

"What if he doesn't go along with it?" Elthas said.

"I trust you to be that good, Elthas." Seth suddenly said. "We're not playing any sides here, we're not trying to stab Logan McCloud in the back with a bloody dagger here. Understand, this IS an act of good faith."

"It is not US that I worry about." Elthas knew the score at that point, he knew what was being asked of him. This could very well be The Syndicate's finest hour. Elthas thought to himself. "I'll do it." Elthas suddenly said.

"You are expected to begin work for The Bandit Brotherhood. We expect you to work towards becoming one of it's finest agents."

Elthas got up and out of his chair. He pushed the chair back underneath the long table. "I shall act in accordance to Syndicate law."

He turned to leave the gathering hall. "Elthas. You ride as soon as possible. Carefully read the job files provided by Logan's agents to us."

"Let them know I can start right away, and that I'm on the way to the specified location." Elthas said. "I shall remain in touch."

"Good luck, Elthas." Seth said carefully.

"I make my own luck." Elthas responded and left the main strategic stronghold of The Syndicate's chapterhouse in Ruild...he was walking towards his house on the estate's property.
    "I'll have DEATH before DISHONOR."-Saying.
    Though you be chained to Hell ITSELF!!!
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!

GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile
    Thinking back on it now, I realized now that I was probably more than a little bit scared. In fact, the idea of having that psychic messing around in my head was not a good prospect at all. But Theo was right. Theo was always right, we needed allies after the dramatic events of The Civil War. Nobody, even us, expected the empire to lose. So now we had to recover, all of Corone did. A new age had unexpectedly dawned upon us...The Age of Villains. With the passage of The Age of Heroes, the new age was gaining steam. I still think, back then, I was just as scared as anybody else. Of losing that which mattered the most...Hylda...

Elthas made his way back home. He knew that Hylda Terrentius would be waiting for him, and that she would insist on joining him. Elthas, would refuse her companionship. Hylda would be safer here...on the estate. He reasoned and then entered his house. The house that The Syndicate graciously provided him for his services. Elthas made his way towards his bedroom, the room he shared with Hylda Terrentius. Elthas could smell her presence in the room, the perfume that she wore was a particularly expensive Radasanth brand. Hylda always liked the best. Elthas's eyes darted towards her heat signature in the room and she was laying in the bed still. His eyes narrowed for a moment and he walked over towards her, kissing her deeply. The kiss was hot, he could taste her on his lips, and that made his heart race. However, he did not have time to take the situation further.

"You should stay with me a while today." Hylda said. Then she sighed as if she recalled something important. "You spoke to Seth and Theo today did you not?"

"I did." Elthas responded plainly. "I have to pack and begin preparations for what is coming." Elthas had a serious expression on his face. The familiar chamber was dimly lit with a few candles here and there, and smelled like vanilla incense. Wisps of the incense smoke drifted in the air purifying it. "Though if you ask me, I don't want the damned psychic fishing around in my head."

"What was decided?" Hylda asked. She sat up in the bed, and Elthas sat next to her.

"We will not be going to war with the brotherhood." Elthas began. "Instead, they want me to keep tabs on the brotherhood's movements." Elthas sighed. "It's too much of a risk if you ask me but I have no choice. They chose me for this mission." Elthas said.

"I know. They could have chosen any other operative for this." Hylda said, there was a sadness in her eyes. "Elthas. I am scared for you, do you want me to join you on this?" She asked.

"I...I don't know." Elthas responded. "Where I am going is a big trouble spot. I, WE, are being tested. The brotherhood wants to see where our ultimate loyalties will end up at." Elthas wondered why he was picked for a purely diplomatic job. "This is a direct order that I cannot decline. I am expected to perform well here."

"When do you ride, Elthas?" She asked. She was looking at him.

"As soon as I am ready to. I could be gone a long time...I think...I think, I want you to come with me." Elthas finally said. He'd been thinking that part deep down, but he didn't want to drag Hylda into the affair if he could avoid it.

"I would ride with you to the depths of Hell." She said in response. "If you wish it, I will accompany you if it will make the mission go smoother." She slid out of the bed, naked. She looked at Elthas. "Is something else troubling you?"

"I'm scared." Elthas suddenly said. "He can read people's thoughts...I don't know if he can control your mind at will or not. The reports don't say anything about that..." Elthas sighed. "There's another thing. Lazarus Project. Hylda, they are making me present Lazarus Project to him as a gift."

"What!?" Hylda suddenly appeared very angry. "I wasn't told..."

"I didn't learn of it until today. That's why I'm scared if something happens to me and Project Lazarus falls in the wrong hands..." Elthas sighed. He suddenly regretted knowing what he knew. "You're the only other operative I trust to join me on this job."

"I understand, Elthas. It is my duty as a Syndicate operative to join you and assist you with Project Lazarus." Hylda stretched and prepared to get dressed. "Give me a bit to get dressed properly okay?" Hylda said.

"I have to pack up anyway for the trip. We should get two good horses for the trip from the stables as well." Elthas was thinking more like a Syndicate agent should. "I don't want to ride into brotherhood territory on foot...and set off traps." Elthas sighed. He got up himself, and began moved towards his travel packs. He began readying choice items. Rations would not be needed since both Hylda and he could hunt. The files he had in his possession were secured in his packs, and he prepared to pack up his equipment and weapons. Including the sword he had acquired from the job with the horses. For a moment, Elthas thought back to Herratya and a cold shiver swelled up his spine. He focused on the task at hand, and finished packing his gear. Further, he changed his clothing from the gentleman's suit he wore at the moment, to proper adventuring gear. He latched on the simple cloak he enjoyed wearing with no marks of any kind.

Lastly, he placed his equipment in their proper locations, fixing his crossbow on last. He looked at Hylda who was also dressed. He smiled.

"Looks like it's time to have ourselves an adventure." Elthas chuckled and with a swish of his cloak, he walked towards Hylda. Holding her hand in his hand and the walked out of the house together.
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!

GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile
    Realizing it now, we were both heading towards an uncertain future. The mission was simple, I had read the documents several times since first received them. I had also read The Syndicate documentation on Logan McCloud. There was very little known about the new leader of The Bandit Brotherhood. That's what made me most uncomfortable about the situation. We were facing an unknown quantity, but at least, I wasn't doing it alone.

Elthas carefully looked at the stable's hand. His eyes were narrowed as Hylda and the fellow talked. Lowen was the guy's name. He was a stocky Hume that worked the stables as far as Elthas could remember. Elthas watched Hylda and Lowen speak and paid attention to the exchange. Sooner or later, Elthas would have to learn how to acquire a horse for himself. Elthas had wanted to take care of the horse situation, but Hylda insisted on doing it. Elthas simply allowed her to take care of the political side of things. However, he had always been a student of knowledge and was attempting to learn everything he could about Syndicate internal workings. Elthas kept his arms folded across his chest.

He wore a simple leather vest, no sleeves with a long sleeved shirt underneath it. It was colored brown. The leather vest was colored black, and had a relatively simple design. Elthas knew the score, and decided that simple attire best suited the mission. He shifted his body weight, and his cloak moved with his person. Elthas also wore a simple hat, it was part of who he was. Elthas had always liked wearing hats. He shifted his hat so that it sat on an angle on his head.

Once Hylda secured the horses and they were prepared, Elthas could be on his way. Just then, Elthas smelled a familiar scent approaching from behind.

"Elthas." It was Seth Terrentius speaking. "I am going with you." Seth walked over towards Lowen, and requested his usual horse. Hylda did not attempt to stop Seth.

"Hylda is more than enough, Seth. Why do you have to come to?" Elthas was growing concerned.

Seth stopped and walked over towards Elthas. "Elthas. I am accompanying you as a senior member of The Syndicate. Project Lazarus is a security concern for us all." Seth closed his eyes and adjusted his glasses. "More than that, I am accompanying you because you are my friend." Seth said. "I want you to succeed in this, for all of our sakes." Seth continued. "You read the files, we are going into a danger zone." Seth paused for a moment. "We are your back up in case things get hairy. You know you will have to take Project Lazarus and prevent it from falling into the wrong hands."

"I won't argue with that old man. I just don't want you to get killed okay? And be careful." Elthas said. He mounted his horse, Seth shortly got his own horse readied and they mounted. Hylda and Seth. The three riders looked at Lowen. Elthas looked at Seth and then Hylda, nodding at both. "Ready guys? We ride." Elthas carefully said. Elthas motioned his horse to move, and they all road off into Ruild...

"No!" The Foreman was at a loss.

"We're not getting help, Paul. This is all over with. The Bandit Brotherhood, or Radasanth itself don't give no shits about us."

"Put yourself in my shoes, Jeremy." Paul folded his arms across his chest, they were Humes, Elves, Drow, many different races forced to live together in the mining community. It was really more than a few simple houses and the mine itself. Tracks that went into the earth, and miners working deep underground trying to supply the rest of Radasanth with ore. However, the recent war in Radasanth had increased supply and demand, and had threatened to destroy the entire mining community. "Radasanth needs her ore. We're obligated to produce the ore she needs." Paul sighed. "But I know this is falling apart. The bandits outside in Ruild are getting restless. There have been more raids, and the monsters. There are monsters in the fucking mines." Paul carefully looked at Jeremy. "Jeremy. If worse comes to worse, I'm shutting the whole operation down."

"What about the jobs?" Jeremy sighed. "You're right safety has to come first, but things ain't that bad yet!" Jeremy was begging Paul to listen to reason.

"If nobody steps up to provide us with the extra security and funding we need, I'm pulling the plug. This place has become a shithole. Nobody wants to invest in a shithole." Paul sighed. "Damn it Jeremy." Paul said. "We're holding on by a fucking thread. Radasanth is a damned mess. Last thing people care about are a small outfit of roughnecks living in the middle of nowhere." A third man, a messenger, approached Paul and Jeremy. He whispered to the foreman. "Riders? What allegiance?" Paul asked the messenger.

"Not known." The messenger said. "They could be looking for work."

"Do they bare the markings of anyone?" Paul asked.

"No. No markings, but one is an older fella with a suit." The messenger said. "They got a lady with them too. Look like strong adventurers."

"Shit, more hands to feed." Paul said. "All right have them come see me right away, once they arrive at the outpost."

It was a rough environment. Elthas smelled sweat, blood and alcohol in the air. He wasn't certain what direction it was coming from. When the miner approached them on foot, he walked up to Elthas's horse and held the reigns, guiding the three of them towards the stables.

"Fantastic looken' animal you got there, rider." The miner said.

"Thank you for the kind words. They are purebred stock." Elthas said in response. "Sell for a premium on the market." The miner nodded.

"Paul Nethgen is who you lot wanna see about work. He's the foreman here." The miner said and guided the three riders to the stables.

"The foreman." Elthas repeated. "Very well." Elthas dismounted, and walked over towards Hylda's horse. He helped her dismount. Seth dismounted on his own. They landed on mud, there were no paved roads. Elthas was glad they wore simple outfits. He looked towards the miner. "Whereabouts is Paul at?" Elthas asked.

"Yonder." The miner pointed towards the central area of the small town. Elthas saw where the miner pointed and nodded.

"Very good, thank you good sir." Elthas walked over towards the stable hand. An older looking woman, he did not know her name. "How much to keep the horses tended to?" Elthas asked. Seth and Hylda were already walking towards Paul.

"Modest fee. Ten Gp a night, for all three horses." The woman said.

"How much to buy out a spot long term?" Elthas asked, that raised an eyebrow.

"You got money huh? Wealth is good, you'll go far here lad." She thought for a moment. "Long term is one hundred per horse." The woman said.

"Done." Elthas removed his money and counted off three hundred gold pieces. "Here you go. A bit extra is the tip." Elthas said and flashed a small.

The woman chuckled. "You're not bad, kid. Go see Paul, he's expecting you guys."

Seth and Paul were already discussing the business at hand.

"You're all here to work, I take it?" Paul was saying when Elthas joined his group.

"A little more than that." Seth was saying. "I'm here to make a sizable investment on the mine." Seth was smoking tobacco from a wooden pipe. It was a little cold, largely due to their location to the mountains. They were at the edge of Ruild, and the mountains, where both lands touched. There was a cold in the air, and the sky was gray. Elthas was sensitive to the forces of nature, and could feel a mountain cold touching the air. Elthas looked at Seth and Paul, standing besides Hylda. Once he had heard Seth's words, Elthas understood the old man's purpose.

You're going to buy the mine, Seth. And then we'll offer it to The Bandit Brotherhood for a sizeable profit. Well played. Elthas stood in a relaxed position and listened to Paul and Seth talking.

"You're here to save us?" Paul asked his expression was incredulous. "I did not receive any word about this beforehand. I will have to think on this..."

"I am aware that your operation is facing ruin. There are monsters all around, and down below." Seth explained. "My associates here, are prepared to invest time and money to save the operation. All you have to do is agree to our terms." Seth said. Seth removed a small file and handed it to Paul. It was in a basic folder. "The contract is all in good order, your mine will be saved and we clear out the monsters. You retain your position as foreman, and the miners keep their work." Seth was making a more than generous offer.

Two other men were standing by Paul. Elthas did not know their names. They were both dressed as miners, and had a gruff demeanor. Elthas kept looking around the town, his sharp eyes spotting different places where improvements could be made. Upgrades. More gold. Elthas decided that before he got excited, he would let Seth conduct business.

"My associates are both skilled workers, as am I. From a more strategic and tactical sense." Seth said. "We are all prepared to fully invest in your community." Seth added.

"Hmmns..." Paul said. "You drive a hard bargain, old man." Paul folded his arms across his chest. "Whose your investors that interested in us?"

"My investors, prefer to remain anonymous. But I have with me a large chunk of gold pieces. I am prepared offer you this and other resources I have available to me." Seth said. He was fibbing in a way. Elthas knew. But Seth really was a good man.

Seth sincerely wants to help these people... Elthas thought to himself as he listened to the conversation.

"When do we start?" Paul suddenly said. "Understand something, Seth." Paul paused and shifted his weight with noticeable discomfort. "I am agreeing to your terms not out of my own selfish needs. But the needs of the miners. This is to help them, not me." Paul motioned for one of his subordinates to give him a pen. "Get me that pen on the table over there." Paul said. A moment later, he was handed the pen. Paul took the contract in his hands for a moment, and studied it carefully. "You're NOT going to tax us further?" Paul asked incredulously.

"We won't." Seth said with an understanding expression. "My investors want to see this township thrive and become prosperous." Seth continued. "We are here to help, not hurt you guys where others have."

Paul tapped his chin with the fountain pen. "All right old man. You drive a hard bargain. I do believe we have ourselves a deal." Paul signed the contract and handed it back to Seth. "Come with me old man. I will show you where can safely talk about money. You two, show the new workers to their home that they will share here. And get Elthas situated down in the mine. He can do security detail as well..." Paul said. And they all got right to work, a well oiled machine.
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!

GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile
    The mud on the ground reminded Elthas that not all of the places in Radasanth had the cosmopolitan feel to them. Elthas made his way carefully through the mud, following the two miners to their temporary living accommodations. Elthas was not certain what Seth had in mind for them. What he DID know was that they needed to secure the mine as an offering to The Bandit Brotherhood as a means to provide a truce. Elthas enjoyed political dealings, it was oft like a child's strategy game. Elthas stood next to Hyla, walking very close to her person. The two fellows were conversing with one another, about various matters as they walked. Elthas did not pay attention to what they spoke of. Instead, he looked at the various people of the town, they were standing around, some working, others relaxing as they waited for their shifts to start in the mine.

Elthas kept a stern expression on his face as he walked. However, his eyes were friendly and he was not on his guard. He was simply in an observant mood. He carefully studied the folk's manner of dressing, and their demeanor. Each one a star, each one a spark. Elthas and Hylda were finally lead to a series of shacks that were tightly packed together. The miners guided them to a particularly larger, but still run down looking shack.

"She's yours and your lady friend's." One of the miners said. "Apologies that it is no five star resort, but it's clean at the very least and will withstand the frequent rains that come about 'round here."

"Thank you." Elthas said politely.

"Has a kitchen. Bit run down, but the stove still works proper." The miner said carefully. "You'll need this." The miner handed Elthas a set of keys. "For the house you see." The miner relaxed after a moment or two. "I'll talk to Lauren for you friend." The miner said. "Get her situated too. We need you down in the mine. Monsters are running loose down there." The miner said.

"All right." Elthas said carefully. "Let me just drop my things off in the house." Elthas turned to look at Hylda and nodded. She nodded back in exchange.

The two entered the house together. Elthas, examined the structure within. It was surprisingly well build considering the shoddy appearance of the shack outside. The floor was sturdy and well constructed to suit the harsh environment they were in,and the inside of the house was held together with brick and mortar. Elthas whistled. "Rustic."

"I like it." Hylda responded. "It's simple, yet strong. I could definitely get used to this."

"We'd probably have to do some hunting around here." Elthas reminded her casually.

"I know." She responded. "I don't mind that one bit, it's a little cold, but I will get used to it. I will have a fire up and running with that firewood over there." Hylda spotted a fireplace, and a small area where firewood was set aside. There was a cold chill that clung in the air. Hylda wanted to warm the house up before they got settled in.

Elthas put his stuff on the floor by an old table. He would only need some of his gear, his preferred weapons were his daggers. He straightened up and looked at Hylda. "You gonna be okay on your own for a while?" Elthas asked.

"I will." She responded simply. "Go handle what you must. Elthas. I will be fine. I will figure out dinner for us as well. You go earn it." She smiled. "Going to be interesting, like a vacation almost."

"There is good in them." Elthas suddenly said. "We can save them..."

"From what?" Hylda turned around, but Elthas had already left.

"Where in the mine?" Elthas asked. The miners from earlier, plus several others were by his side. Elthas felt the cold chill of the mine as he moved deeper underground. They passed several workers, and there was a track in the middle of the tunnel that winded down. A mine cart carried ore to and from the mine shaft. The mine was surprisingly well lit, but smelled like human sweat. Elthas decided that he did not like the mine, but was willing to work to earn his pay. His eyes narrowed, and he accessed his infra red vision. He saw the heat signatures of various miners working the area. The sounds of mining picks striking veins was a periodic noise that Elthas soon got used to.

"Chamber ten." One of the miners responded. "Started happening in Chamber ten, I figure you can start your search there."

"Do you know what we are dealing with?" Elthas asked.

"Yeah couple of the miners in the area spotted 'em." The miner said. "We gave 'em a nickname. Some kind of nasty devil that bores in the rocks. Eating ore, if I reckon." The miner shook his head. "We left 'em alone at first till they started picking miners off, and taking them deeper in the tunnels." The miner gestured further down. "We don't got no idea what's down there." The miner said. "Could be hundreds of 'em."

"Do you think there might be a nest?" Elthas asked. He drew his daggers.

"Anything is possible. I will pull my men out and let give you some reinforcements. Get every last one of those buggers taken care of, hefty reward in it for you too." The miner said.

"All right." Elthas said calmly. "I'll just need a few volunteers to assist me in the task. Make sure they are competent folk."

The miner grinned. "All 'em folks is competent down here." He flashed gold teeth. "You guys." He said and pointed to a small group of nearby workers. "Double time it over here." The miner said, and three gruff looking miners approached them. "I'll get the word out so that the others evacuate in time. Elthas, good luck in dealing with them nasties." The miner shook Elthas's hand. "I will say a few prayers for your speedy success."

"Thanks." Elthas began. "Chamber number ten is where we will begin our search for whatever is down there." Elthas said, nodded politely, and took the three miners accompanied him. They did not hesitate, or show any fear.

"Your'e one of them elf-folks right?" One of the miners asked.

Elthas nodded. "I am." Elthas smiled and began to make his way deeper in the mine shaft. The others moved at a quick pace and they covered tremendous ground.
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!

GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile
    Energy cascaded from the stone and seemed to swirl around the walls. Elthas, with his heat vision, was capable of seeing the heat swirls as he walked through the tunnel. Chamber ten was quite a ways away from the entrance of the mine. He used his enhanced vision to see in the dark where his companions needed torches. His eyes were narrowed and he focused on the larger sections of walls, listening to what he could. There was only the sound of his companions talking to one another in the dark, and their powerfully beating hearts. He could hear their heavy breathing too. It was all too much noise for Elthas to feel entirely comfortable. However, he was glad he wasn't alone. He needed the help if there was a boss spawning the minions. He suspected there was. Elthas was an experienced adventurer by that point in his career, and had encountered many types of the monsters. He had never heard of the creature he was about to become intimate with, however.

I think it's possibly a breed of monster not native to Corone. This could spawn even more reward than I thought. His sharp mind was already conjuring up this or that plan, strategy and tactic to use against the monster once they were found. Then as they started to enter Chamber Ten, he caught it. The sound was subtle at first, but Elthas's sharp ears were trained to catch subtle sounds.

"Wait." Elthas commanded.

"What is it, Elf?" One of the miners asked and approached Elthas who was clearly concentrating.

"Over there." Elthas saw the heat signature before any of them laid eyes on it. It was several feet away from their current position. Elthas spotted that it was on top of another fading heat signature, likely one of the miners that had been unfortunate. "Don't move." Elthas whispered and he readied his crossbow for a moment.

"What, I don't..." He caught it a moment later. "That's Charles!"

Elthas cursed, they had drawn the attention of the mine monster. "Fucking ready your weapons, we're gonna have to fight it." Elthas took a careful aim of the creature, it was alerted to their presence and was snarling in the darkness. The creature had the body of a large worm-like creature with a round, many sectioned mouth. It's teeth seemed to rotate about like natural saw, it was fast. The thing spread evolved wings from it's back, and there were spines visible. The creature's eyes were on stalks, and it seemed to look directly at Elthas. Elthas fired off a single bolt of his weapon when the thing took off at blinding speeds towards them. It had clawed talons for legs, several pairs of them. It leaped at the last moment, gliding through the air quickly, but Elthas saw it coming. He dived off to the side, without warning his companions and sheathed his crossbow in the process. He'd caught the bug but it kept moving despite the injury it had received.

Got to get down and dirty here... Once he had sheathed his crossbow, he had drawn his daggers. A loud scream alerted Elthas to where his companions were.

"Get if off!" One of the miners found himself yelling.

Elthas heard the sound of many hundreds of teeth rotating rapidly across his companion's chest. The thing made a horrible noise as it ate the miner alive.

"It's right there, do something!" One of the miners yelled. Elthas reacted quickly. But he knew something they didn't. The way the creature fed, it fed by latching on to a potential host body. Elthas had seen the connection between beast and victim a moment earlier when he first spotted it feeding. Elthas could only do one logical thing. He threw one of his daggers right at the miner's face. It hit. The miner died a moment later, and the creature turned towards Elthas, he was ready. Elthas had to concentrate, he needed to use his reaction rate to the fullest capacity possible. He shut out the sounds the other miners were making, and the creature launched itself at Elthas. Elthas reacted quickly held his dagger with both hands, at the ready. The world seemed to slow down as Elthas shifted his position to the side, and dodged the lunging strike of the terrible bug. Feeling his muscles tighten, Elthas lunged downward with all his might and stabbed the hell out of the bug.

Elthas suddenly let out a beastial scream. And he started to repeatedly stab the creature, over and over, it let out an equally terrifying sound. Elthas stabbed feeling the hard hide of the creature rip open and whatever was the green substance flowing out of the creature's body. Elthas knew he had to be every bit as savage as the creatures were. "Mother fucker, DIE!" Elthas found himself yelling. He found something glowing in the central point of the creature's chest-cavity and stabbed at it with all his might. There was a glowing reaction, and the thing suddenly exploded with flesh, and a terrifying screech. Elthas, continued to hang on to his dagger but was flung backwards by the explosion.

"That was some bullshit..." Elthas suddenly understood what he was facing. His mind was sharp, and capable of analyzing problems quickly. He discerned that they were like living bombs of some sort. "Okay. We have ourselves a serious problem here." Elthas said, and ripped his dagger out of the miner's face he had killed.

"Elthas...what the fuck was that? Why did Jake have to die?" One of the miners asked, clearly terrified.

Elthas was cleaning both of his daggers. He looked at what appeared to be a tooth fragment of the creature. Elthas reached down, picked it up and placed the trophy in his packs. He looked at his companions with a deadly serious face.

Elthas walked over towards Jake's body. "Give me a torch." Elthas said grimly.

One of the nearby miners hesitated. "There isn't much time, give me the fucking torch." Elthas said.

With reluctance, the miner handed it over to Elthas. "We have to burn the bodies we find. There's no way to be entirely certain."

"Certain of what?" The miner asked, clearly horrified at what he was witnessing.

"They use the bodies as hosts and implant eggs. Don't get yourself caught by one of the fucking things, and you won't get killed." Elthas said plainly. "Still happy you signed on for the job?" Elthas asked as he burned Jake's body.

"We didn't have a choice, Elf." One of the miners said grimly.

Elthas knew the score. It's them or us.
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!

GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile
    Maneuvering deeper into the chamber, Elthas was determined to get the job at hand done. Regardless of how grim it was. His mind started to paint a pretty bleak picture about the situation, but he would not let his own opinions taint the focus and determination of the miners with him. They needed a strong leader, and he would provide that. Elthas walked towards the body he first spotted, he let the others do whatever they needed to after he torched the body of their comrade. Elthas walked over towards the body and examined it carefully. The injury was to the chest cavity of the fallen miner. Elthas knelt down, torch in hand, but he wanted to be absolutely certain his theory was correct. His eyes narrowed and he used his heat vision to investigate the injury on a much deeper level. Elthas did not dare touch the body directly, he didn't know how potent the eggs were.

"What are you looking for, Elf?" One of the remaining miners asked.

"Eggs." Elthas said plainly. "We have to learn as much as we can about our enemy if we hope to defeat them."

"There's not enough time." The miner responded truthfully. "Do you think it's a pandemic?"

"I don't know. I can only guess." Elthas responded. "Without tangible evidence, there's no way to be certain." Elthas spotted the glowing eggs nestled inside of the rib cage of the fallen miner. He did not risk touching them. "Five eggs. Fuck." Elthas stood up. Looking down at the body, he would not dare allow them to hatch. He placed the torch's flame deep in the rib cage of the fallen miner and lit the body up. It only took a few moments, but the eggs were destroyed in the process. Five eggs...in one shot. What the hell are they?! Elthas wondered if they were dealing with a new breed of monster, and a part of him felt excited for their discovery.

"How many were there, Elf?" The same miner asked. The others rested by the body of their friend.

"Five." Elthas said calmly. He did not want to worry them anymore than necessary. He turned and faced the miner that was standing nearest to him. "There were fucking five eggs..." Elthas sighed, things didn't look good at all. "All right we need a back up plan here." Elthas's mind quickly made certain calculations as he thought about the situation at hand. If worse came to worse, he was prepared to sacrifice a portion of the mine just to get all of the creatures in one shot.

"What are you thinking?" The miner asked, his arms folded across his chest.

"How free are we to devise tactics to get the nest once we find it?" Elthas responded.

"I don't know..." The miner said. "We just have to find some way to make the mine safe for the workers to return."

"All right. I may have a plan but you'll have to do something for me. "You two, come forth." Elthas beckoned to the other miners that were standing further away from them.

They walked towards Elthas and nodded. "What do you need?" One of them asked, the other was looking around carefully.

"I want you to send word to Paul." Elthas said casually. "We may have to seal off a portion of the mine to get them all. I don't see how else we can get every last one of them here." Elthas had a serious expression on his face.

"Done." The miner responded, and the two left back up the path they came from.

Elthas was alone with one last miner. "I'm going to be frank. I don't like our odds here." Elthas told him.

"They started snatching our comrades about a month ago...ten total have gone missing..." The miner said. "How bad does this look?"

"What I am hoping we find may not be there." Elthas said carefully. "I am assuming there a singular entity that controls the drones...like an ant." Elthas's mind was elsewhere, deeper in the mine. In a way, a part of him had become lost in the depths of the mine...lost with the creatures in the darkness.

"What if there isn't one?" The miner asked.

"Then the situation is worse than I initially thought." Elthas said. "Come on, we don't have much time before we're spotted again."

"What's your name?" Elthas asked as they moved deeper into the mine, past chamber number ten.

"Stykes." He responded carefully. "My name is John Stykes." John sighed, he seemed burdened by something. "I have been working here all my life, ever only left once or twice to go in The Citadel for a bout or three."

"You're a Citadel combatant?" Elthas asked, and nodded with respect. "I go from time to time as well. Maybe we'll meet each other someday. How many more chambers are here? I'm thinking the nest would require a lot of space."

"Fifteen chambers, connected by various tunnels." John responded.

"Whats the largest chamber that's in that area, we'll start there." Elthas said.

"Number twelve." John responded, and the two made their way to chamber number twelve.

As Elthas walked, he listened. John lacked the enhanced senses that Elthas had, at least he assumed so. Elthas felt comfort walking alongside the veteran miner. He knew he didn't have to face the creatures lurking in the darkness alone. He was listening for more of the creatures as they passed through chamber eleven without incident. It was as they were leaving chamber eleven that he caught the sound again...there was more than one.
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!

GP

Name
    Elthas Belthasar
    Race
    Forest Elf
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3"/200 lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer Folks.

View Profile
    Skittering in the darkness, Elthas could hear them just beyond his current position. His eyes narrowed and he signalled for the miner to wait. Concentrating, the Elf listened as intently as he could. His body tightening up as he concentrated. He currently held his daggers in his hands, after he retrieved his dagger from the first encounter with the creatures. They had a name, but Elthas didn't want to know what it was. Rotating his daggers nervously, Elthas listened. Using his infra red vision, he was able to determine that they were a few paces ahead. Two of them and they currently feasted upon one of the bodies of the miners. At least, Elthas thought they were eating the body. He watched for a moment or two, allowing himself to become angrier.

"What are we waiting for?" John asked.

"Give me a moment, I'm thinking of a proper plan." Elthas said carefully. He looked at John. "There are two. Think you can manage to back me up if I go ahead?" Elthas asked.

"I think so." John Stykes responded. He looked at Elthas. "But just be careful, no hero bullshit okay? I don't want to get stabbed by one of them..."

Elthas saw that John was rubbing his chest, in discomfort.

"Don't want to get impregnated by one of them you know?" John said.

Elthas nodded. "Fair enough. Stick to the plan, and you won't." Elthas said.

"All right, when you go, I will back you." John Stykes said. "Make sure you don't go and get yourself killed okay? I need you if I'm going to survive this affair intact." John Stykes grinned. He readied his two handed weapon. It was an elegantly decorated mining pick.

"I'm gonna go ahead, but I'm going to flank them. There's just enough room for me to do so." Elthas whispered. "Just wait for me to engage, and you can assault the other one. Don't get caught by them if there are more than I can see over there." Elthas instructed. "Move very slowly and quietly. I think if we time this just right we can fool their senses."

"Fair enough. I'll stay here and wait for you to engage the enemy." The miner said. He really didn't want to die in the mines a horrible death at the hands of a rare monster.

Elthas went quiet and was on the move. He made his way towards the body he'd spotted. One of the creatures was presumably feasting on the body whilst the other was simply stationary. Elthas was not certain of their sensory capacity at all, but he knew they were probably capable of a lot. The nearest of the creatures, had a blue carapace, and was the one feasting on the body. Elthas had placed the torch in a inset position of the rock cavern wall. It was held aloft, and provided some light. After that, he made his way towards the body and creeped down into a crouching position. He did not have any type of stealth prowess, he was simply trying to be as quiet as possible. His boots were soft and did not make much noise. He focused on his target, hoping he could take it out without the sentry noticing him. He covered the distance to the body, a mere few paces from his previous position. Once he was in striking distance, he acted. He knew that the creatures would not give him the same chance. Rotating his daggers once more, he lifted them up high and lunged his body quickly and savagely. He leaped with all of the might he could muster, his legs tightening as he moved. Once he was very close to the creature, he stabbed downward. Hard. He attacked with both of his daggers simultaneously, pushing downward with his weight. He landed virtually on top of the creature, crashing into it. He could not afford to get stabbed by the tail of the thing, so he began to repeatedly stab it. The carapace felt tough, but he quickly made short work of it. He stabbed it several times in rapid succession, not even thinking about what he was doing. Using his infra vision he spotted the core of the bug like creature. It was his target. He continued to stab at it, and moved in with an angular movement, his weight into the attack. He stabbed underneath the core of the creature and it reacted the same as the first beast he had killed. It began to glow and exploded in a pile of sticky bug parts. That definitely got the attention of the sentry.

Elthas wiped bug goo off of his face, and readied his weapons once more. He heard the sounds of battle further ahead, and saw that the miner was repeatedly stabbing with his mining pick. Elthas grinned. He's a tough bastard, I'll give him that. Elthas moved in quietly towards the miners position and saw that he had broken up the tough carapace of the creature already. Moving in, Elthas reacted as fast as he could, spotting the core of the creature which was already exposed. Elthas lunged powerfully and stabbed at the core of creature and it reacted the same way.

"Son of a bitch!" John Stykes yelled. "They got a weakness after all."

The creature exploded into a pile of gooey debris.

"You got to get past their armor and expose the core." Elthas said. "We might be able to get out of this alive..." Elthas said. They had just killed two of the creatures without any terrible injuries. "It's their tails we have to examin." Elthas suddenly realized. "I think they use their tail points to inject the eggs."

"Possible." John Stykes responded. "We'll leave time for further analysis once we find the nest where they come from."

"They explode. But here, take a look at this..." Elthas spotted a fully intact tail pincer.

"Are you certain we should touch that thing?" John Stykes asked.

"Valid question but we're short timed at the time." Elthas responded. "We must learn everything we can to effectively kill them." Elthas suddenly came up with a brilliant idea. "I just thought of something." He pulled one of the ropes he used to capture bounties out of a vial, and put the vial back in his packs. Then, he took his daggers, cut the stabbing portion of the tail off, and proceeded to attach the tail tip to his dagger blade. It would serve as a better piercing weapon. "Maybe their own organic weapons will serve to be their undoing. Next time, cut the tail off first and attach it to your weapon."

"Sounds like a plan." John Stykes said carefully. "Chamber twelve is just ahead..."

"If there are too many we fall back and come up with a better plan." Elthas said quietly.

"Fair enough. I'll go with you to the depths of Hell if need be." John Stykes said.

"You are brave and a good friend." The two shook hands. "To the depths of Hell it is then..."
    Of Wraiths and Shadows.
    Elthas WIKI
    My Blog
    Shiny New Daggers!!!