Hello everyone!

As many of you know, a few months ago a security vulnerability was detected in vBulletin 4.2.3, the current version of vBulletin that we use on the site. Due to years upon years of layered coding, excess system files and conflicting hacks, I was unable to install the security update without shutting down many of the system perks that we relied upon everyday on Althanas. Indeed, you might have noticed a steady decay in functioning as I've worked to keep our database safe over the past few months.

After an extensive discussion with the staff, it was decided that we would change platforms. The choice came down to Vbulletin 4.2.5, Vbulletin 5 and Xenforo. Vbulletin 5 and Xenforo are designed for simple, fast paced posting with heavy user loads, but we simply do not have that type of activity here. Thus, we settled for VBulletin 4.2.5, which incidentally will be the final version of vBulletin 4 released. It was also decided that due to the massive amount of conflicts in the system causes by our years of code tampering and hacking, that we'll be migrating over to a new database. That migration has been completed, and I'm pleased to announce Althanas 4.0.

On 7/1/17, Althanas 3.1 will be archived and we'll be migrating to a new forum!

So what does that mean for you? Very little. You'll have to re-register your account, but that's about it. When you do so, you'll immediately see an improvement in design and forum speed, as well as less 502's in the Althanas Chat.

To make it extra special, we're also going to make a few Althanas related changes:

• We're publicizing the ROG system. After receiving feedback from the community, we've realized that one of the major sources of contention on Althanas is the secrecy of the Realm of Greeting. Thus, we're going to make the entire system public. You'll be given the power level equation, and a list of abilities at various power levels.
  • We're doing a soft reset on canon. Following the events of the 2017 AC, all former canon will become historical as Althanas moves into its Third Age. The tap, it's been discovered, was just a single fountain of magic among many. Therefore, the new age will be considered the age of magic reborn. Yes, this means the canon submission system will reopened. Historical events can still be canonized, as can locations, events, but those items will face higher scrutiny. The focus will be on discovery and current events that make up the master timeline of Althanas. All old submissions that were not addressed must be resubmitted.
  • There will be a heavier focus on freeform roleplay. This will include an area called Kebiras, where players can role-play their Althanas approved characters at any level for reduced awards (Yes, Kebiras will still be an area of the "other regions" that you can develop with your Althanas registered character). There will also be a true freeform area, much like the Nexus, where you can play any character in any setting.

I'm sure there will be plenty of questions about these changes, so I'll leave this thread open as a question and answer. Let me begin with a few questions the staff asked

1. Will I have to reregister my character? No, unless you want to. Now that the system is public, you might want to maximize your allowed abilities. If you don't wish to reregistered, we'll have a thread in the ROG for straight transfers from Althanas 3.1.

2. Will threads transfer over? Absolutely. This includes archived threads. You can have them moved from Althanas 3.1 to Althanas 4.0 at any time. We'll have a request thread open.

3. When will the AC results be posted? Probably Sunday.

4. What if someone takes my username? Let me know and we'll take care of it.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or comments please post them here.

You can see the new forum here: www.althanas.com/iw

You can follow us as we fill in the gaps. It's closed for registration and posting now, but that will change leading up to the official switch. Once the systems are complete, I plan to open registration early!

Right now, I'm also looking for a few graphic artists to design some artwork for Althanas. If you're interested, please let me know. I'll create a thread in the Your Word. We really want to inject your creativity into all aspects of the community.

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you in 4.0!