Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4, 125 lbs
    Job
    None

My body ached. I could feel my heart racing and I wished for nothing but sleep. I didn’t understand this battle. How could I be of any significance in a fight I had no desire to be a part of?

Madison appeared with no warning and soon she and my captor were sizing each other up. The conversation was impossible to follow as every few words I would feel myself lose consciousness. It was as if someone were pulling me away.

Sulla held me tightly. I had no hope of escape. I would be crushed beneath two titans as soon as the toying stopped. I imagined myself slowly sinking into the decayed forest floor. I closed my eyes tightly and prayed for an end.

“Shit!” Suddenly I was pulled from my half-dream. It took a long moment to realize that I was no longer held in place. Something, or someone had convinced the man to let me go. I did not stand around long enough to find out what. Every exhausted muscle in my body tensed as I ran with all my might. I didn’t look back. All I could do was run. Tree limbs stung my face as I forced my way into the dense forest. I could feel sweat dripping down my back and my hair whipped from side to side. I had never pushed myself this hard.

I can’t say for how long I ran. The sunlight was weak as it broke the treetops when I finally let myself stop. I fell to my knees and then gave into my tired body. I laid my head on the cool soil and felt myself sink into the ground. I wasn’t afraid anymore. After all of this, I was prepared for whatever came. I would embrace death if it meant never again stepping foot in this horrid place.

My last thought was of the beautiful forest I’d entered just hours before and just how much we’d both changed.

The warmth hit me suddenly. I opened my tired eyes and stretched. My body ached terribly, but I was alive. The flowers around the clearing filled my nostrils with sweetness and my makeshift bed seemed to hold me tighter with each passing moment. I didn’t want to move. I wanted to stay a part of this perfect moment for as long as possible.

A gentle voice filled the air and I forced myself to grudgingly sit up.

“I hope you are well rested.” The sunlight hid her face, but there was no doubt who the voice belonged to.

I stammered as I pulled myself up. “I...I did, thank you.” I backed away slowly, half afraid, half saddened at losing my little sanctuary.

“There is no reason to fear me Cellar. If I’d wanted you harmed it would have been too easy to accomplish.” She stepped closer and smiled. “In truth, I find you rather interesting. It isn’t often such an average human catches my attention.”

“Then how did I?” The question left my lips despite my fear. Curiosity always seemed to win against good judgment in my life. I stared hard at the thick green grass.

“I will die soon.”

My head jolted up.

“No, let me finish. I have known for some time that my end was near. I do not fear the end. My goal is not to save myself, but to find those worthy of carrying on my power. I have watched many enter my home in the last days. Few have stood out. You, you are special.”

I couldn’t hold my tongue any longer. “I am as ordinary as it comes.”

“No, true you have no extraordinary power, but there is more to you than most would know. I’ve seen your memories, I’ve shared your body. You, Cellar Door, are untainted by the ideals of most men. You believe in personal responsibility, that the world is not black and white, but endless shades of gray. You, are capable of carrying on part of me.”

My eyes must have given away my confusion. I took a step closer.

“Not my power. Magic would only ruin the things that make you strongest. Yes, little one, you are strong. Not just anyone could have taken control of themselves as often as you did during our little adventure. I’m sure you met my faithful servant Madison. She will live on as a symbol of my strength. You, you will live on as a symbol of my knowledge. Look around you. None other has seen the true beauty of this place in many years. I will pass on all my knowledge if you only make me one promise.”

I couldn’t resist. The knowledge of centuries of both man and Thayne? “Of course.”

“Do not try to change the course that is already in place. There is no use in it. Fate does exist, despite your beliefs. My fate is already settled.”

“But if I can….”

“No. This is the promise I require.”

I said nothing for a long moment. Pode had saved me even after I’d entered this forest to strike her down. I owed her everything. ”I...I promise.”

She closed the few steps between us and placed her hand upon my forehead. I could hear the wind gently blowing through the trees. A bird chirped in the distance. The earth beneath me moved slowly.

And then everything was quiet.
    Last edited by Taste of Treason; 02-25-15 at 10:33 PM.